Phragmipedium Serge Harvey

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jean-Pierre, does the plant need to grow cooler year-round to get better color? or just when the plant start to show a sheath or the spike starts to grow then it should be moved to a cooler and brighter place for better flower colors? :confused:
Thanks in advance!

Jean-Pierre, does the plant need to grow cooler year-round to get better color? or just when the plant start to show a sheath or the spike starts to grow then it should be moved to a cooler and brighter place for better flower colors? :confused:
Thanks in advance!

No! You can grow your plants on the warmer side during their growing period... They will grow and thrive faster too, especially the seedlings... And not all of the Phrags will benefit from the cooler nights as besseae and their hybrid does.

For example; Just to name a few, I’m having Phrag Bel Royal and Living Fire (Two besseae hybrids) both are in flower since many months now, those plants got branching habit and show 8 to 10 flowers open at the same time. Few weeks ago we did had 5 days of heat with 30/32 Cº during the days and 25/30 Cº at nights.
During that period, all the new flowers were fading orange in coloration; the heat effect was very noticeable on it beside the older rich deep red flowers. But now we did return to normal 15/18 Cº at night and the new flowers are ok...
I’ll have a look at my plants to see if I have some flowers left of that period... Other things, the flowers are not last very long neither when it is to warm they last half of their normal life!

Hi! Eric, I like to use fresh pollen but I'm keeping some in the 'fridge' (hope it is a right word?) for a year without any problem...
Yeah I'm keeping pollen in the fridge also but someone, maybe Boscha Popow or Tom Kalina, wrote that the besseae flavum didn't breed until really fresh [just bloomed] pollen was used.

Latest posts

Back