Phragmipedium lindleyanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trimorph

Reaction score
This is a first blooming Plant, and the first flower of it has not the best shape, but I'm as that exited about it that I didn't wanted to wait for the next bud to open:

20140202-133251-574.jpg

I've never seen one in bloom by myself before, and I didn't expected the the colores are as that bright and huge, 10cm across a few days after oppening.

20140202-133319-649.jpg

More flowers are coming. The complete infloence is very high, in the moment roud about 1 meter.
But also the plant is very big, single leaf length is 60cm.

The only thing I can't get, is the difference towards sargentianum, can anybody explain it to me?

Best regards Trimorph

This is really cool Gary.:clap:

This is a very big plant for what I've seen labeled as lindlyanum rather than sargentianum.

I've never seen a definitive key to separate them by flower characters, and given the variation if flowers I've seen, I can't figure out how to separate the two just by looking at flowers.

I have (had) several lindlyanums that never got leaf span more than about 25-30cm.

I just looked up Olaf's work in the 2003 Orchid Digest checklist article.

He say's there's too much flower variation to give sargentianum more than varietal status from the nominal lindleyanum.

The other variety (kaieteurum) is said to be a small/compact plant but with no yellow leaf margins.

The yellow leaf margins should be distinct in the nominal form, but sargentianum leaves are described as "uniformly green leaves", which I would take as lacking the distinct yellow margins. And nothing mentioned on size of plant.

Sargentianum flowers are said to have more square staminode and pouch opening than the nominal form with a more deltoid staminode and rounder pouch opening. But the pics all look the same to me:eek:

According to phragweb: Phrag. sargentianum (Rolfe)Rolfe = Phrag. lindleyanum var. sargentianum
and
Phrag. kaieteurum (N.E. Br.)Garay = Phrag. lindleyanum var. kaieteurum

Yes. If you look in Phragweb you can see the differences, also they come from different places.
Trimorph's looks like v. sargentianum.

Hi Rick,

thank you very much for your consideration.

I looked up my plants and can't say fore sure that this plant leafes have a yellow edge, the leafes are light green. From the same vendor I got a second plant, which should be a selfing of a sargentiaum. I've a picture of the motherplants flower and its looking the same. Also the habitus of mine, desist from the age, is similar to this "lindleyanum".
So NYEric seems to be right.

(By the way I was not very pleased with it's source. The vendor promised me to send me a division of his lindleyanum he got once from a german botanical garden. I didn't realy belife this plant was a devision when I got it, but wasn't sure. But a few months later he sold a similar plant as a english lindleyanum breeding on e**y. Poorly to late for me.
Although he bought it as lindleyanum from england and had not the competence to distinguishe the variations, its not the right way to sell em as divisions of the real one for extracash! I don't buy any plants of him anymore.)

But never the less I have an other sargentianum plant (unknown origin) with clear yellow margins. The leafes of this one are more wide and also much darker too.
Perhaps this one is a misslabeled lindleyanum and if it will bloom it will be possible to figure out any difference in the flower.

Latest posts

Back