Phragmipedium Hanne Popow flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrchidIsa

Reaction score
That's what's on the label. I find it a lot pink for a flavum but it could be me... Smells like heaven, really sweet... like a rose maybe? My nose is not good for descriptions!!! :) This is the second flower of this young plant, better than the first one.

98g3.jpg

Yay besseae hybrids! It's true to description. Sometimes you get a light one, sometimes not. yes, the smell is like roses, or sometimes like raspberries. Enjoy.

The color on the lip is very intense and lovely.

I LOVE yellow flowers, but have been disappointed in general with besseae flavum and its hybrids, so I wouldn't have bought this plant assuming it would have pale, lifeless color. So, congrats. You might not have gotten what you wanted if you were hoping for pale and/or yellow, but I think you got something pretty good.

Yeah, I completely agree on the fragrance. I equate it to rose, smelling very similar to a lot of rose scented perfumes and air fresheners (but better). I never detect the raspberry tones that a lot of people use to describe certain slipper fragrances (delenatii, malipoense, schlimii, etc). At the same time, it's not all that surprising, roses and raspberries are in the same plant family, so it's conceivable that they produce similar chemical signatures.

I also happen to find schlimii's fragrance one of my favorite of all orchid scents. It reminds me of summer and my time when I used to work in an orchid conservatory while in college.

I LOVE yellow flowers, but have been disappointed in general with besseae flavum and its hybrids, so I wouldn't have bought this plant assuming it would have pale, lifeless color.

There are many brightly colored besseae flavum crosses. I wish photos of Lien's St.Ouen 'Snow' were still working.

Latest posts

Back