Phrag...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phragalicious

Reaction score
Hi All,
Back in Oct. I purchased my first phrag, with a 2 inch spike. Since I am new to phrags, I have a question. I have seen in some of the posts I've been looking through about *teeth*...are any teeth showing on a pouch bad?...Anyway, I thought I'd share a picture of the first bloom :D...This is Phrag. Memoria Estelle Getty, with a single growth.

Attachments

• DSC02119.jpg
    DSC02119.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC02117.jpg
    DSC02117.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 22
welcome and nice flower!
I think the teeth just are... neither something positive or negative, just a part of the shape of some flowers. i'm sure there may a hybridizer out there who may have the opinion that they are 'bad', and others that may say they are 'good'... if they are normally found on certain species then they may show up in a hybrid. besides, if you like the flower and it has teeth on it then it doesn't matter what someone else thinks! good or bad is just subjective

The teeth on this one aren't bad at all. In this case, I see the large fangs of longifolium on the upper, outer edges of the pouch. Phrag Mem Estelle Getty is (fischeri X longifolium). These are to be expected. Usually when we talk negatively about phrag pouch teeth, it's random, smaller nubs along the pouch rim. See one of Candace's pix of Phrag longifolium I found from a google image search... http://www.elkgroveorchids.net/images/longifolium.jpg

I don't really see any problem "teeth" on your Phrag. To me, teeth are a jagged edge around the rim of the pouch. Can be a couple of jags or many.

Pretty flower you have there.

Those are only longifolium fangs. To me teeth are a nuisance when they show up on the edge of petals. And even then, the flower is often beautiful. Estelle Getty has been added to my wanted list. :)

There are good teeth and then there are bad teeth.

Chuck

IMG_6880.jpg

Latest posts

Back