Phrag. water trays

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We grow the water-loving Phrags with individual pots sitting in a (humidity) tray of 1" deep R/O or rain water, not in individual saucers. Once a week, we dump the water from the trays, water the individual pots (still sitting in the trays), dump the water out of the trays again and refill the trays with 1" deep fresh R/O or rain water. When we fertilize, we remove the pots from the trays, run fertilizer water through them, then place them back in the tray of R/O or rain water. We grow our long-petalled Phrags and species from Section Micropetallum (except besseae or d'alessandroi) like we grow our Parvis -lots of light, smaller pots, and allowed to dry out between waterings. Seems to have worked well for us.............

I started using this system 2 weeks ago. Now I'm seeing roots coming to the surface of all those I've placed in the trays. Is this a problem? I re-potted about 3 months ago, so I don't feel comfortable doing it again so soon.
Any opinions/advice? Thanks

Yeah, a pic might help here. Sometimes, the roots go nuts and push the plant up or you see root "knees" poke out because the tips push them upward.

You might knock one out of the pot gently just to verify no harm is being done.

Here are the two with the most prominent roots. I'm reluctant to re-pot again since it's been only 4-5 months since the last time. Although I would like to
put them in clear pots.

Here are the two with the most prominent roots. I'm reluctant to re-pot again since it's been only 4-5 months since the last time.

Well, congratulations! You have some healthy phrag roots there! In no time, those roots will circle the entire pot and green moss will probably start to grow on top as long as you keep the water in the reservoir fresh. Keep it up!

Thats very good news indeed! I've been trying to figure these little monsters out for over a year, frequently finding I was doing wrong by them. Hopefully
we're on the blooming road. Thanks:rollhappy:

Thats very good news indeed! I've been trying to figure these little monsters out for over a year, frequently finding I was doing wrong by them. Hopefully
we're on the blooming road. Thanks:rollhappy:

Yes, that is a healthy root. When I find them on the top like that I put rockwool cubes to and diatomite to keep them moist but airy.

water for Phrags

Have any of you read the article titled Quasi-hydroponic for Phrags. You can find it on the Gore Orchid Conservatory site?.... does anyone have any thoughts on this idea? :crazy: or :cool:

Have any of you read the article titled Quasi-hydroponic for Phrags. You can find it on the Gore Orchid Conservatory site?.... does anyone have any thoughts on this idea? :crazy: or :cool:

I'd bet it would work great. Same idea as here, but with flooding water periodically.

Back