Phrag Sedenii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
longifolium x schlimii

P6020003.jpg

Beautiful, Ron; but, that's Cardinale, not Sedenii. There's a lot of Cardinale's out there labelled as either "schlimii" or "Sedenii". Sedenii always has some of the horn still showing on either side fo the pouch, which is a characteristic from it's longifolium parent. Cardinale (which is Sedenii crossed with schlimii), cleans up the pouch rim and give it that toilet bowl shape.

You're correct. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the photo. "Oh no, another schlimii/Cardinale Birchwood!"
It's nice anyway. :D

I was just coming to this thread to add that comment myself. I did not think it looked like a Sedenii and had a discussion with Glen Decker about it. The only problem is this one came from a piece that was knocked off another plant in the greenhouse and I found it directly under his awarded Sedenii.. Glen does not have a Cardinale. I do, in the form of schlimii 'Wilcox' The flowers look close. So, I can't imagine what it is but it does look like Cardinale.

Here is my schlimii 'Wilcox' for comparison

schlimiiwilcox.jpg

"Glen does not have a Cardinale."

Ron: IMHO, he does now. His awarded Sedenii is a Cardinale, or at least, a Cardinale x Sedenii. That's just not a pure Sedenii (longifolium x schlimii). I'm not surprized to learn that the "Sedenii" that his division came from, was awarded. A lot of awarded Sedenii's are either Cardinale or a Cardinale hybrid, or, on the other side of the breeding spectrum, they are Calurum (Sedenii x longifolium), or a Calurum hybrid. It seems that since Sedenii has been around for a million years, some people got tired of true Sedenii not being as good as it's progeny; or, some people simply lost tags and carelessly stuck "Sedenii" in the pot because is seemed close. Bottom line: if there are no vestigial horns on the side of the pouch, it's not pure Sedenii; but, it's got more schlimii in there...either by crossing Sedenii with schlimii (= Carlinale), or by crossing Sedenii with Cardinale, increasing the schlimii shape content and dampening the longifolium influence.

John I have apic of his awarded Sedenii and this is not the flower.

"Glen does not have a Cardinale."

Ron: IMHO, he does now. His awarded Sedenii is a Cardinale, or at least, a Cardinale x Sedenii. That's just not a pure Sedenii (longifolium x schlimii). I'm not surprized to learn that the "Sedenii" that his division came from, was awarded. A lot of awarded Sedenii's are either Cardinale or a Cardinale hybrid, or, on the other side of the breeding spectrum, they are Calurum (Sedenii x longifolium), or a Calurum hybrid. It seems that since Sedenii has been around for a million years, some people got tired of true Sedenii not being as good as it's progeny; or, some people simply lost tags and carelessly stuck "Sedenii" in the pot because is seemed close. Bottom line: if there are no vestigial horns on the side of the pouch, it's not pure Sedenii; but, it's got more schlimii in there...either by crossing Sedenii with schlimii (= Carlinale), or by crossing Sedenii with Cardinale, increasing the schlimii shape content and dampening the longifolium influence.

Latest posts

Back