Phrag schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trimorph

Reaction score
Phrag schlimii

with a yellowish coloration

20121112-153427-578.jpg

Trimorph

Very interesting. This is odd to have this yellow coloration. The staminode is pure yellow and a different shape than schilmii. As Olaf pointed out in the manzurii thread there is still debate about these two species. What makes it harder is that there is also natural hybrids between the two. I think this could be one of them, which would be phrag. xcolumbianum. What was the source of this plant?

This is a plant I got as an allready mature plantfrom private, I would say 5-6 years ago.
The staminode has a red dot but you can't see it on the picture because of the pouch.
The quality of this picture is not the best, because it was taken with the handycam in the afternoon, but you can see the red coloration on the staminode a little bit:
20121112-152723-15.jpg

The last flower was without that yellowish coloration on the petals and only with a tender yellow look on the pouch.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23267

The picture in the earlier thread definitely looks like true schlimii. It does not look like schlimii x manzurii. I don't know what would cause the yellow pigmentation this time. Maybe this is a case for schlimii having the yellow color of manzurii and could point more towards manzurii being a variant. I don't know but either way beautiful schlimii and I like it with the yellow color.

I think there was some cultural differences/ stress between the 2011 blooming and this go a round. This blooming the flower's pouch is sunken in which can be a indicator of stress, usually in the form of heat. Also, I found out flower quality was directly effected by the amount of Epson's salts I added to the fertilizing water. The more I added the uglier I could make the Phrag flowers look. Mainly with longifolium and it's hybrids. I had very few schlimii hybrids nor the species until recently so, don't know if Mg would have the same effect.

Very nice! It seems to me that schlimii has a good deal of variety in it. Phrag. manzurii maybe just another form of schlimii.

Latest posts

Back