Phrag schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
A reliable bloomer ! This year ,as you can see from the picture , I am going to have 3 more spikes !! That should look good if they will open together:D and maybe I can get one to pollinate this time !:)

Johns_deer-05.jpg

Excellent, what's your secret ??

A very unconventional method we tried years ago after discovering I could not have my phrags sitting in trays of water because I have to keep a dehumidifer running in the fall & winter because of excess humidity in my growing area that is adjacent to my sunroom.

My husband ( he is so smart!! ) pointed out to me that using a semi hydro pot with the bark mix was the same as having the phrags sitting in trays of water. Duh ! So we started using the semi hydro pots ( 2 holes placed an inch from the bottom of a plastic pot) and our results were amazing !!

The bark does not break down any faster..I have had phrags in the same pot for 3+ years. Some phrags (the climbers) need repotting every year or so anyways. So that's our secret, but it has been told on here before, so it's really not a secret.:wink:

Wow Gilda, that strong plant with the little beauty on top are superb!!!!

I finally have one of mine spiking and hope that it will be a schlimii :) ! Jean

A very unconventional method we tried years ago after discovering I could not have my phrags sitting in trays of water because I have to keep a dehumidifer running in the fall & winter because of excess humidity in my growing area that is adjacent to my sunroom.

My husband ( he is so smart!! ) pointed out to me that using a semi hydro pot with the bark mix was the same as having the phrags sitting in trays of water. Duh ! So we started using the semi hydro pots ( 2 holes placed an inch from the bottom of a plastic pot) and our results were amazing !!

The bark does not break down any faster..I have had phrags in the same pot for 3+ years. Some phrags (the climbers) need repotting every year or so anyways. So that's our secret, but it has been told on here before, so it's really not a secret.:wink:

Hey Gilda - great looking plant as usual. You use Cypress bark for that method, don't you? Is this like the Cypress bark mulch like you get at Home Depot?

e-spice

Hey Gilda - great looking plant as usual. You use Cypress bark for that method, don't you? Is this like the Cypress bark mulch like you get at Home Depot?

e-spice

We tried cypress bark that Owens Orchids was selling(don't know where they got it from) . It showed great root growth results, but it seemed to stay wetter and wetter with each watering. I was afraid during the colder months it was going to stay wet too long ,so now we add a little of the cypress bark to a mix but we do not use the straight cypress bark.

I hope this isn't confusing.

Latest posts

Back