Phrag. schlimii x Schroederae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trimorph

Reaction score
The first bloom:

20140113-144158-982.jpg

Trimorph

The first bloom:

20140113-144158-982.jpg

Trimorph

This is very interesting cross.
Schroederae used as parent usually does not produce viable seed. I think there are only a couple of registered hybrids involving Schroederae. I´ve tried several times using Schroederae as pod parent and as pollen parent without results... sometimes i got seed but without embryos...

Where did you got the plant?

Eliseo

The origin of that plant was Nothhelfer, an german orchid dealer. But I don't know, if he has done the crossing by himself.
I got it in exchange from privat a few years ago. It was not in the best condition and it took some time to built it up again.

Best regards,
Trimoph

Only 3 registered hybrids of Schroderae, and none in the first hundred years after it was registered. Ronni Lynn (Schroderae x besseae) 2000; Ribbons and Bows (Schroderae x Ruby Slippers) 2001; Mount Ford (boissierianum x Schroderae) 1999. Nice to see a new one. Excellent color.

The lack of breeding success with Schroderae seems odd. Does anyone know if Schroderae itself has been re-made sometime since 1882? I'm wondering if there was something unusual about the original parent plants that might be overcome my re-making it with new parents.

Does anyone know if Schroderae itself has been re-made sometime since 1882? I'm wondering if there was something unusual about the original parent plants that might be overcome my re-making it with new parents.

In 1882 "caudatum" was used to refer to humboldtii, caudatum s.s. and wallisii. We cannot be sure about which parent was used to create Schroederae. The fact is that almost all the Schroederae clones I´ve seen are very vigorous plants but unable to reproduce...
A nice exercise would be to cross Sedenii x caudatum, Sedenii x humboldtii, Sedenii x wallisii and sedenii x lindenii to compare the results in terms of fertility and shape.

Back