Phrag La Vivace Epicure Phyllis D. Turner

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjkOC

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I wanted to ask a question about how this Phragmipedium seems to be blooming. I was told that the buds would open from the bottom ones to the top, but it seems like the most developed bud is one of the two at the very top of the inflorescence!

It doesn't appear that the lower buds are dried up, they are just not as developed as the top most one.

This is the first Phrag I have been trying to grow, so any suggestions, ideas, or perspectives would be really appreciated! Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

I think those bottom ones failed to launch. They do usually open from bottom to top.

I think bottom ones are not yet buds but branchees!You have 1 bud and 2 side branching...so wait and will see + 3 flowers x spike!...but maybe i'm wrong:rollhappy:

Valenzino is correct. Your lowest bud is the one at the top. the others are branches that take longer to develop.

I think bottom ones are not yet buds but branchees!You have 1 bud and 2 side branching...so wait and will see + 3 flowers x spike!...but maybe i'm wrong:rollhappy:

Valenzino is correct. Your lowest bud is the one at the top. the others are branches that take longer to develop.

That's exactly what I thought -- you are lucky to have one that branches. Mine hasn't yet!

Thanks everyone for your responses and ideas! I hope it is branching if this means more flowers! This is my first Phrag, so I'm not quite sure what "branching" is. Does anyone have photos?

Just a quick update, the bloom started opening, OVERNIGHT!!! I wonder if Phrags are generally faster to open blooms than Paphiopedilums. My Lynleigh Koopowitz took like one month to open. I'll be posting photos soon :)

Thanks again everyone! I will post photos of the flower when it opens all the way :)

Thanks everyone for your responses and ideas! I hope it is branching if this means more flowers! This is my first Phrag, so I'm not quite sure what "branching" is. Does anyone have photos?

Just a quick update, the bloom started opening, OVERNIGHT!!! I wonder if Phrags are generally faster to open blooms than Paphiopedilums. My Lynleigh Koopowitz took like one month to open. I'll be posting photos soon :)

Thanks again everyone! I will post photos of the flower when it opens all the way :)
Branching = more blooms - YES!
Check out my Eric Young, you'll get the idea -
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14384

YES they open quickly as you'll already know by the time you read this! The long petaled phrags are fun, they can change in a matter of hours!

CONGRATS! Good culture!

Now the other thing to know about Phrags is that the flower drops right when it is still looking perfect. First time that happened to me, I thought I'd knocked it off -- or looked at it cross-eyed! But that's just the way it is with Phrags. The good thing is that, for a long time, there will be another bud opening or ready to open.

Thanks for letting me know this! I think I would have thought I had done something wrong. Still, I hope the flower will last for some time...

The flower has really opened up but I am hoping the dorsal will become a little more erect, maybe tomorrow I can take a photo! :D

Now the other thing to know about Phrags is that the flower drops right when it is still looking perfect. First time that happened to me, I thought I'd knocked it off -- or looked at it cross-eyed! But that's just the way it is with Phrags. The good thing is that, for a long time, there will be another bud opening or ready to open.

Oh, I really like that. A greenish phrag made very pretty with the touches of pink. Marvellous! :clap:

Ooo, and I see I have this one, those it has yet to bloom. Mine came from Orchids Limited.

Very nice! I am the one that made the cross. I have not seen too many that have branched yet, so this is a keeper :clap::clap:

Robert

Latest posts

Back