Phrag grande 'Meaghan'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greenpaph

Currently in bloom.

PhraggrandeMeaghan.jpg

Very nice :clap::clap:, but that is probably a Phrag. Super Grande (popowii x longifolium) and not a Phrag. Grande (caudatum x longifolium). Super Grande's tend to have darker pouches (almost a mahogany brown color), with darker petals.

Robert

Very nice :clap::clap:, but that is probably a Phrag. Super Grande (popowii x longifolium) and not a Phrag. Grande (caudatum x longifolium). Super Grande's tend to have darker pouches (almost a mahogany brown color), with darker petals.

Robert
That is a dark pouch!
Does Super Grande have longer petals also?

That is a dark pouch!
Does Super Grande have longer petals also?

Not necessarily, look at the pictures of our Phrag. Grande 4N, that one has pretty long petals as well. I have noticed a lot of variation within Phrag. Grande's and Phrag. Super Grande's, but I think that has more to do with what kind of Phrag. longifolium was used versus using Phrag. caudatum versus Phrag. popowii. The later 2 species just give different colors. Phrag. popowii gives the hybrid a darker color (darker pouch and petals). Also I have noticed that Phrag. Super Grande (made with popowii) usually has rounder pouches. What kind of Phrag. longifolium was used (think var. roezlii, forma gracile, var. hartwegii or var hinksianum) has more of an influence on the size of the flower and length of the petals.

Robert

Complicated genealogy! With the "splitters" vs. "lumpers" I wonder if things will ever get straightened out.

Thanks, Robert.

Back