Phrag. Frosted Velvet

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your St-Peter is gorgeous too…
Frosted Velvet = 37,5% long + 37,5% bess + 25% schlim, for me it should be something between Longueville = 50 long + 25 bess + 25 schlim and Grouville = 50 bess + 25 long + 25 schlim. All of them should have clear inner pouch....
I would believe it's something more like Jerry Dean Fischer x Hanne Popow... 37,5 sarg + 37,5 bess + 25 schlim close to Beauport (50 sarg + 25 bess + 25 schlim) with wider petals....
Interesting. I suppose I'll never know for sure. But I sure hate to call this a NOID. That means I couldn't ever really have it judged. Too bad, 'cause it's becoming quite a nice flower.

ok a newbie question......there seems to me to be a lot of posts where ppl doubt the parentage of blooming plants......being new and not any kind of professionel geneticist I just wonder.....in any cross there are variables.....and not all progency will look the same.....I realize that some ppl have more growing experience and perhaps can look at this bloom and state 100% that it is mislabeled and that it cannot possibly be from the parents stated.....I grew up on a farm and we raised registered hogs and cattle for years......very seldom would see litters of pigs or calves from year to year out of the same parents look 100% the same.....as a newbie I am a bit put off because now it makes me wonder how many plants I have bought that one day some one is going to inform me that the parentage cannot possibly be correct on.......LOL ok I will shut up now cause this went from a question of how can you be so sure to a sort of a rant

Todd

ok a newbie question......there seems to me to be a lot of posts where ppl doubt the parentage of blooming plants......being new and not any kind of professionel geneticist I just wonder.....in any cross there are variables.....and not all progency will look the same.....I realize that some ppl have more growing experience and perhaps can look at this bloom and state 100% that it is mislabeled and that it cannot possibly be from the parents stated.....I grew up on a farm and we raised registered hogs and cattle for years......very seldom would see litters of pigs or calves from year to year out of the same parents look 100% the same.....as a newbie I am a bit put off because now it makes me wonder how many plants I have bought that one day some one is going to inform me that the parentage cannot possibly be correct on.......LOL ok I will shut up now cause this went from a question of how can you be so sure to a sort of a rant

Todd

This is a good question; you are right, some crosses show more variability than others, but with some limitations... We are now entering in the complex crosses era with Phrags and it will become much more difficult to know and recognise the exact parentage in specific cross by eyes. But with experience we can easily see the parentage in a primary or second generation hybrids.
But breeding race is not like breeding species it is a world of characters apart... It is like finding a lamb in a litter of wolf for me...

Latest posts

Back