Phrag Don Wimber 3N

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
This was made with a 4N Eric Young and besseae var flavum. It is a first bloom seedling. the petal span is 4.5"

Attachments

• PA280121.JPG
    PA280121.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 64
Very nice Ron. I didn't know that they would bloom on such a small plant, this gives me hope for mine.

:drool::clap: It's really nice! I'm surprised it has that much red with the flavum parent! Been having some cooler temps? :clap: :drool:

Excellent. How long did it take to bloom?
This is it's second growth. First growth did not bloom but I moved it to S/H culture at some point and that may have delayed it. I had it for at least 2 years.

Beautiful, but it doesn't look like it was made with a flavum besseae.
pray tell Dot...why don't you think so? My understanding is that flavum is recessive.

I have grown Phrag Don Wimber with both besseae and besseae flavum, and the red besseae produces flowers just slightly more red than the yellow ones. That is with a tetraploid Eric Young and diploid besseae's. The Eric Young parent is created with normal colored forms of longifolium and besseae.

My guess is that if you want yellow flowers, the best way would be to create a green/yellow Eric Young from longifolium album and besseae flavum, then cross that onto besseae flavum. None of this seems to have been done yet.

All of that being said, cooler temperatures will always give richer red colors.

pray tell Dot...why don't you think so? My understanding is that flavum is recessive.
It's obvious I'm not an expert. But from all the Don Wimbers I've seen (quite a few), the red ones were made with a typical orangish besseae, and the ones that were more orange were made with flavums.

Don't feel like the lone ranger Dot! I guess we are only seeing the ones that have the flavum influence, the others they're hiding in the back!:evil:
Interesting slippertalker, but it would make sense that not all are going to take after the flavum parent! Such a good learning place, I would like to try some X's, I don't think there's enough time to make me an expert in any part of orchids!

Beautiful flower! This grex continues to hold it's own compared to a lot of newer hybrids. A few of the x besseae fma flavum Don Wimbers have shown varying degrees of peach tones, but the predominant color has been pink to light red as in the photo.

Fox Valley has started down the path of possible yellow/green besseae hybrids by using our Phrag longifolium fma album `Fox Valley Mint' as the pollen parent and Phrag. besseae fma flavum `Rising Sun' AM/AOS as the capsule parent - creating (we hope) the first true green/yellow Eric Youngs. These EY seedlings have 6-8 inch leaf spans and can be ordered from our website at www. foxvalleyorchids.com under "Online Specials".

Thanks, Tom

Don't feel like the lone ranger Dot! I guess we are only seeing the ones that have the flavum influence, the others they're hiding in the back!:evil:
Interesting slippertalker, but it would make sense that not all are going to take after the flavum parent! Such a good learning place, I would like to try some X's, I don't think there's enough time to make me an expert in any part of orchids!

Very nice Don Wimber!

I did make some crosses using the besseae flavum, and I'm still surprise to see the wide rage of colour variability witin the offspring.

How to explain the colour in this one; The use of the 4n can explain this! longifolium 4n (40 chromosomes) x besseae 4n (48 chromosomes) =
Eric Young (4n) = longifolium (20) + besseae (24) this X with besseae flava (24) = will give us the Don Wimber = longifolium (10) + besseae (12) + besseae flava (12) half and half besseae Red /yellow... The red should be dominant... But lots of surprise in the next generation...

Same exercise with a 2n Eric Young and besseae flavum (24 chromosomes)
longifolium 20 x besseae (24) = Eric Young, this give us =
longifolium (10) + besseae (12) X with besseae flavum (24) =
Don Wimber = longifolium (5) + besseae (6) + besseae flavum (12) = red / Yellow. This one should have some more dominance in the yellow tones....
Hope it is understanble and help!

The use of longifolium alba should give us real yellow one! Yeah!

I don't think I've seen a peachie Don Wimber. Where the flavum influence is seen is the light inside of the pouch. As I previously said "The [4n influence] force is strong in that one" :fight:

Back