Phrag China Dragon

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
I was hoping for longer petals:sob: They might get a bit longer but not LONG !
DSCI0394.jpg

Nice.

Okay, here's an example of soemthing I've been wondering:
I'm assuming that China Dragon does not have very long petals because it is a long petal crossed onto a short (besseae). If it had been the reverse cross, would the petals have been longer? Compare that to Belle Hougue Point, which is a short petal (Eric Young does not have very long petals) crossed onto a long petal.
Both crosses have the same species in their parentage, but in different order. Is Belle Hougue Point 50% caudatum, 25% besseae and 25% longifolium? China Dragon would then be 50% besseae, 25% longifolium and 25% caudatum.
I'm sorry if these are really dumb questions, but I want to understand these things. I'm looking to do my own crosses, and I don't want to waste my time and get results I don't like.

Nice.

Okay, here's an example of soemthing I've been wondering:
I'm assuming that China Dragon does not have very long petals because it is a long petal crossed onto a short (besseae). If it had been the reverse cross, would the petals have been longer? Compare that to Belle Hougue Point, which is a short petal (Eric Young does not have very long petals) crossed onto a long petal.
Both crosses have the same species in their parentage, but in different order. Is Belle Hougue Point 50% caudatum, 25% besseae and 25% longifolium? China Dragon would then be 50% besseae, 25% longifolium and 25% caudatum.
I'm sorry if these are really dumb questions, but I want to understand these things. I'm looking to do my own crosses, and I don't want to waste my time and get results I don't like.

It is never simply a matter of percentages beyond the first generation. If you have a plant that is a primary hybrid Long x Short, in the next generation any particular seedling could get all long petaled genes, or all short, or any mix, assuming that multiple genes contribute to long petals. If your breeding objective is long petals choose the longest petaled parents available to you and a small percentage of the seedlings will get the long genes from both sides and possibly be longer than either parent.

It shouldn't make any difference if you reverse a cross. The pod parent can contribute more in terms of temperature or light preferences, or general vigor of growth, or some types of color expression, but not normally a trait like petal length.

Gilda, I love the color of this one better than mine. Mine is darker with a bit more orange in it. I think my Yellow China Dragon is trying to bud up. It will be the 3rd blooming for that one. Marilyn

There is a previous thread that discusses differences between traits given and influenced by pod parent vs seed parent. I believe DrOrchid from Orchids Limited was doing some reciprical crossing to research this. As noted above, the percentages aren't the simple determinant of characteristics [any 2 xy's can become xx, xy, or yy]. Of course the more long petal genetic material you breed into a plant the higher the chance of long petal outcome you will have. Yay besseae hybrids! :p [Long isn't relative?]

Very nice colouration!
Do you have the parentage of it?

After Rose posted a picture of her China Dragon from Chuck Acker , I emailed him about the X and this is what he had to say:

"My China Dragon is made up of Grande 'Vista' 4N x besseae 'Rocket Town' 4N.
Some of us make crosses both ways (besseae x Grande) and (Grande x besseae) but can only register it one way. When this cross was registered it was with Grande as a pod parent and that is the way I also made it. I have not seen China Dragon out there at all with besseae as the pod parent. If it was indeed made that way the plants are probably far and few between as besseae does not yield much seed, and the petals will indeed be different."

Latest posts

Back