Phrag China Dragon bloom which lasted 99 days

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
Please bear with me if the link doesn't work. Still trying to find my way around Photobucket..!

But this China Dragon, which I had waited to see bloom for 5 years, finally did so this winter / spring. The 2nd bud had been a bit nibbled by an insect in the greenhouse before I brought it into the house, and so I plucked it off. That probably contributed hugely to the longevity of the one open bloom. Probably plucked that bud at a critical moment, so all the juices meant for it were somehow diverted to the first bloom..?

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/achamore/library/

We believe that the Eric Young Foundation used a besseae flavum in creating this. China Dragon is usually a lot deeper red.

By the way, over the 5 years before it spiked, I had probably fed the plant not more than twice, as my fertilising regime is pretty poor. I've now started using Jobs little 'logs' stuck into the pots, a system that works for me.

I use a swiss made fertilizer of 1.5 - .5 - .5 at a lower than recommended dosage with half r.o. and well water and am witnessing a blast of root growth, I use clear pots

Great to see you here Don! And to see the lovely China
Dragon again as well. Now that you've figured ST out I
hope you post the photos from OSF here too. You grow
glorious Phrags. and this place is a Phrag. lovers paradise.

In addition, the color is true here too.

You're right Angela, the photos show true here. Its very disappointing on the Orchid Source forum that nobody is now able to address that issue.

That was my impression too, but when I look at photos of other China Dragons, they are all so very red by comparison. The EYOF did use a besseae flavum to make China Dragon, I have established that. I suppose I will need to find one of theirs that is definitely made with the yellow form, to be able to make a final judgement.

That's nice! I think, if it were made with a yellow besseae, it might be lighter or even more yellowish.

If I may be so bold, Don lives on the Island of Gigha off the southwest coast of Scotland. It's a gloriously beautiful
island and I think there's something in the water that's
quite magical...or maybe the air...or ocean currents...something.

Angela, that is probably another part of the puzzle. My water is spring water with lots of dissolved salts. Have never had the means to install an RO or rainwater system. The water comes from the island of Jura 15 miles to our west. There are hundreds of freshwater springs on Gigha, all flowing from the rain on Jura, and it is these springs that probably gave the reason the old Norse invaders gave it the name "God's Island". The old norse word for that eventually became Gigha.

If I had not experienced this bloom lasting 99 days myself, directly and in person, I think I would probably not believe it could happen. That's why I took photos as it went on longer and longer, with the day's newspapers shown, to verify the dates. I wanted to provide clear evidence, to this outlandish story..!

Well, the streams flow deep under the sea, in the bedrock. Some islands in the vicinity have no springs at all, but Gigha is positively blessed with fresh water.

The house we live in is in the middle of a 50 acre garden which belongs these days to the local community Trust. In the garden there are several springs, and they feed into a large tank, and then from there its pumped up the hill every couple of days to another large tank. But the excess water simply flows down a ditch to the sea. I reckon about 50,000 litres each day flow from the garden springs to the sea. And the good thing is that the phrags seem to like this water..!

Back