Phrag cadantum small roots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipper lover

Reaction score
I got a phrag cadantum and it has roots but they are not exactly amazing they are quite short but healthy u have it in a bark mix with crushed oyster shell for calcium any ideas on what to do any way to get the roots to grow new tips of growth any recommendations

There is only a small amount of oyster shell on the top I use k lite twice a week and I water it every day

I use distilled water it's a small concentration but I give it twice a week the bark is small with charcoal the bark is new just repotted no I will not grow it semi Hydro

Distilled water + low concentration of K-lite is hard to know if it is enough or not. My guess is it is not enough nutrients.

You said you just got it and also that it is freshly potted. So did it have small roots when you got it or has it grown small roots under your care?

I personally think all phrags like to grow wetter , even caudatums. Lots of fresh water ! Search on here what John M said about growing phrags,...flushing the pots etc. I personally could not grow a phrag in a bark mix unless it sat in water. My growing conditions are too dry !
This was my best phrag growing...bar none AND they are all in a bark mix BUT with a reservoir in the bottom of the pot, basically semi hydro...we called it barko :D I had them sitting in trays...hubby said a rerservoir was the same thing..took up less room etc. Worked like a charm. I flushed the pots very frequently. Never had leaf tip burn etc.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9595

Last edited:
Grow them very wet with really good drainage.

In Nature Phrag. caudatum roots grow in living moss over dead moss on rocks. The roots basically stay within the moss. The moss gets a lot of rain and stays very wet. but the roots also have a huge amount of air space between the loose moss and drainage is extreme.

If you can manage to water several times per week grow the plants in very loose sphagnum moss. High humidity is preferred. The wind blows the plants enough it is almost impossible to photograph the flowers. light does not seem to be important, I've found them growing in crevasses under boulders with never any direct sunlight and other plants growing on top the boulders in full direct sunlight.
The moss root environment appears to be fairly high in nutrients based on associated plants. More than weak fertilizer is needed.

Back