Phrag. besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continuing my tradition of having plants bloom at odd times of the year, here's my besseae:

Phragbesseae06.jpg

--Stephen

silence882 said:
...I've been attempting to get a better picture, but can't get it quite right.
The flower looks pretty good, but the background is distracting. Maybe that's why you are not satisfied?

Maybe the Antec folks will pop in here and tell us more about #4 and #7. More specifically, were they wild collected or seed grown?

Is this besseae growing on stolons or growing in a clump?

This plant only has two growths and they're clumped. I think stolonous growth is more common in plants in the wild than it is in plants in cultivation.

And of course, the besseae bloom fell off about a day before the dalessandroi second bloom would have been fully open, so no together picture for now. However, I got bored and dissected the besseae bloom. Here are a few shots:

Phragbesseae(columnback)1.jpg
Phragbesseae(lipside)1.jpg

I posted more shots on the besseae page:
http://www.slipperorchids.info/phragdatasheets/besseae/index.html

--Stephen

If I had the 2 bloom that close together I would have crossed them to make a Phrag. Jersey. The only place that I've seen selling Delassendroi hybrids is Piping Rock and EYOF, and we all know how hard it is to get EYOF plants, (I think they out-OZ OZ). E.

Wow, what a cover girl beautiful phrag besseae, congradulations on your growing skill. Any advice you'd care to share? What type of water are you using?

I've been thinking of using the besseae pollen on the 3rd dalessandroi bloom to make Phrag. Jersey. I don't know if I actually want the seedlings, though.

I use untreated well-water. It has a ppm of ~180 and a pH of ~6.4. I add fertilizer at about 1/4 strength about a third of the time. The besseaes are in diatomite now, although i think i'll switch to medium CHC / charcoal / diatomite once the two are done blooming.

--Stephen

I don't see much use in makng Phrag Jersey. In my opinion it only causes confusion between the pure dalessandroi species. I think it would much better to self the dalessandroi and preserve the species rather then muddle the genes.

Its like crossing caudatum with wallisii. Whats the point?

Kyle

Kyle said:
I don't see much use in makng Phrag Jersey. In my opinion it only causes confusion between the pure dalessandroi species. I think it would much better to self the dalessandroi and preserve the species rather then muddle the genes.

Its like crossing caudatum with wallisii. Whats the point?

Kyle

I agree with Kyle.

Latest posts

Back