Photographic Tour thru Venezuela...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

Last month, after coming back from venezuela, I posted a link to my Flickr page with pictures from wild orchids in Venezuela ( http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13504&highlight=venezuela )

now, after almost two months, I have finally uploaded the rest of the pictures from my trip... here you are invited to have a look at those pictures... going from Canaima National Park (Canaima Lagoon, Angel Falls, Gran Sabana) up to the Natural Monument "Cueva del Guacharo" (Oilbirds' cave) and Caracas... http://www.flickr.com/photos/28895012@N08/sets/72157622587133256/ :)

Thanks a lot :) it was indeed a great trip... with highs and lows, due to the political & economic situation in the country, but once again a nice trip... the N.P. Canaima (most of the photos) is one of my favorite regions in Venezuela... As you can see, there is a town called Kavanayen (the place where the Kavanarus live)... no need to say I have a special relation to that town...

One more thing - so, being ultimately a native of that region can you answer this question - you went to Oilbirds' cave, so I'm guessing they live in or near there. Here's the question - are oil birds really used as candles in South America, as in burning the whole bird, or is that just a story I heard?

BTW EVERYONE! If you read this post, do have look at this series of photos - you won't be disappointed. Put on some nice music, set the photos to slide show mode, and kick back for a lovely ride.

IMO, excellent pictures of a most impressive tour!!!!! Thanks Ramon, and congratulations!!!!

your pics remembered me of the book from the Dunstervilles 'Orchids Hunting in the Lost World';found it back in my library and will start reading it again :):)! Jean

One more thing - so, being ultimately a native of that region can you answer this question - you went to Oilbirds' cave, so I'm guessing they live in or near there. Here's the question - are oil birds really used as candles in South America, as in burning the whole bird, or is that just a story I heard?

hehe... not really as candles... :D Actually, in the past the indians used the Oilbirds' chicks as a source of fat (they are really but REALLY fat!). This fat was used not only to be burned, but also had been used for different things. The burning of the fat, is very well known because of Humboldt's chronicles.

By the way, the Oilbirds indeed live in this cave. This being the largest colony in Venezuela and with a count of several thousands birds. However, they can be found almost everwhere in Venezuela (specially, in rain and cloud forest). You normally cannotsee them, but they show their presence with their characteristic Click sounds at night (used for sonar-location)

your pics remembered me of the book from the Dunstervilles 'Orchids Hunting in the Lost World';found it back in my library and will start reading it again :):)! Jean

Indeed :) a very nice book ;) If you have the chance (and understand German) try to get the Book "Insel in der Zeit" (Geo Magazine)... a very interesting one (very nice article about carnivorous plants, written by my Profesor in Venezuela)

hehe... not really as candles... :D Actually, in the past the indians used the Oilbirds' chicks as a source of fat (they are really but REALLY fat!). This fat was used not only to be burned, but also had been used for different things. The burning of the fat, is very well known because of Humboldt's chronicles.

By the way, the Oilbirds indeed live in this cave. This being the largest colony in Venezuela and with a count of several thousands birds. However, they can be found almost everwhere in Venezuela (specially, in rain and cloud forest). You normally cannotsee them, but they show their presence with their characteristic Click sounds at night (used for sonar-location)

I've heard that the youngsters in particular are fat. Your mentioning they live in caves and are active at night reminded me these guys are in the same family as the famous North American nightjars - the whippoorwill and Chuck-will's-widow. What a neat group of birds! Both of these make the most amazing song especially just at dusk...I wonder about the oilbird's song. Do you know how it sounds?

I've heard that the youngsters in particular are fat. Your mentioning they live in caves and are active at night reminded me these guys are in the same family as the famous North American nightjars - the whippoorwill and Chuck-will's-widow. What a neat group of birds! Both of these make the most amazing song especially just at dusk...I wonder about the oilbird's song. Do you know how it sounds?

ok, they were thought to be in the same family as nightjars (Caprimulgidae) or Potoos (Nyctibiidae), however it is now know that they are distantly related to both groups. They diverged from both lineages long ago, and are now in their own family: Steatornithidae. They are the only true frugivorous nocturnal birds, and even though it was thought they used echo location to find the ripe fruits, it is an accepted fact that they used the sense of smell and even sight.

Their song is far from nice and beautyful.. it is mainly a variety of screams and snoring sounds, as well as the well known click sounds used for echo-location. They can be very loud actually :) when you enter the first section of the cave (where the colony of birds live) it can be sometimes quiet annoying.. (and terrifying for kids :) - ask my nephews LOL)

Fantastic trip!!!! Thank you for sharing!!! The pictures of the falls are amazing!!!:)

Latest posts

Back