Phalaenopsis cochlearis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is quite possibly my new favorite species! It's not an easy grower though..

I haven't actually seen one in bloom until now, and has anyone else noticed that this is quite fragrant? It smells very strongly of orange blossoms to me. What a great surprise!

29cbe42083b8711f83475281fe7f2abc.jpg

e623d82d3ff5aaa697ec388257e29472.jpg

f1152c7f7178d7c83b07bf0e0c3b7d9c.jpg

This is from orchidview actually, so probably from different parents.

I don't believe these are sequential, very similar to fuscata and corningiana with one flush of blooms at a time.

Mine is an oldie from Dwayne Dowery and is one of my
favorites as well. It seems to have a citrus scent with
something less sharp, but I can't quite decide what it is.
Beautiful photographs and lots of detail...niiiiice.

Thanks all.

I'd be happy to send pollen to someone who has an established plant that's receptive. It'll be cool to continue preserving this species.

Dang! Mine has bloomed and is resting and putting out new leaves. I'd love to pollinate it. The one I have is
easy to grow mounted. I've taken it for granted for so many years that I often forget about it.

Do you mean cool as in temps. or "cool" as it is used as
a compliment? You've reminded me that I should do an
up to date inventory I've been putting off. I'm guessing I
have about 100 species and primary Phals. some cooler
growing and some warmer growing. Almost all of my
Phals. are mounted and do well regardless of temps.

I was using it as a descriptor for the action, not temperature. And wow! 100 over, that is quite a substantial collection. You must have almost all the species..

Sounds like your plant must be really mature so wood be great to get an outcross of the Dowery line with this Orchidview line. Maybe next year the timing will be better

I got this three years ago, right before the Nortons downsized and stopped sales online. Really lucky to be able to have acquired some plants from them

If I'm not mistaken, Dwayne's came directly from his
supplier in Borneo and/or Indonesia. I'd say mine is close
to ten years old and it does rebloom on old spikes, however,
every few years it seems to drop all old leaves, rests a bit and
then regenerates. I wonder if it does this regeneration thing
in the wild.

Latest posts

Back