Phalaenopsis amabilis fragrant flowers.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
This is from Irian Jaya

Sun is out today so I was able to detect its fragrance.

I've wanted a fragrant Phal amabilis for a while now.

e6a7ese6.jpg

I sold a Phal aphrodite from orchid island off Taiwan. My customer told me that it is fragrant but when I had it I did not detect its scent.

I read that only Phal amabilis from Papua New Guinea is fragrant. Irian Jaya is next to it so I was excited to have this. It should be more fragrant when it's humid and bright.

A surprising number of phals (in my experience) are at least very slightly fragrant in the right conditions. I don't really have much experience with species, so I'm mostly talking about the hybrids, which obviously have mixed parentage.

What I find with the "standard" hybrids is that they are most fragrant in the morning, and in situations where they are getting natural sunlight. My orchid friends think I'm crazy, and I don't contest that diagnosis, but I swear on my life, it's true.

I have a neighbor who buys phals in bloom, then drops them off at my doorstep when they are done flowering. While I end up giving away or returning most of the phals that I'm able to revive and bloom, it means that quite a number of varied NOIDs have moved through my collection over the years. I guess what I'm saying is, I've noticed the fragrances in a wide variety and large number of phals over the years. From whites to purples to harleqins to candy striped -- many have the potential for fragrance.

Again, for most, the scent is very faint, but for me it's detectable.

Latest posts

Back