Ph fertilizing solution and calculation N

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

neno747

hello, if you have a fertilizing solution with ph too much low or too much high with which products it goes corrected.

If I use a idrosolubile fertilizer 20-20-20 with a objective to supply for a determined period 100 PPM of N I have always made this calculation,

On 1 liter of water

grams of fertilizer x percentage of N/100/ water volume /0.001

0,5 gr x 20%N/100/1lt/0,001 = 100 PPM

If the fertilizer that use is liquid as makes?

Thanks

any aquarium/ pet fish store will have chemicals to adjust pH.
Hello to all, living in Italy for me it is complicated to find seen MSU the shipping costs, now I am using with Dyna-grow 7-9-5 I have noticed that using 1/2tps/gal the Ph it comes down to 4 as I can make to raise it to 6,5?

The products that find in the stores of Aquarius not modify me the fertilizer?

Hello to all, living in Italy for me it is complicated to find seen MSU the shipping costs, now I am using with Dyna-grow 7-9-5 I have noticed that using 1/2tps/gal the Ph it comes down to 4 as I can make to raise it to 6,5?

The products that find in the stores of Aquarius not modify me the fertilizer?

If you want MSU then you can buy it from Akerne Orchids in Belgium. They sell it as "Rain mix": http://www.akerne-orchids.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=40

The pH adjusters tend to be simple acids and bases - and are safe for delicate fish - so should create no issues for plants.

As you have access to Dyna-Gro products, Pro-tekt can be used to increase the pH of the solution.

Do not use "pH up" from an aquarium store...it contains NaOH. To raise pH, just use a little Pro-Tekt.

Rather than worry about the pH of the fertilizer solution measure the water that comes out the bottom of the pot the day after you apply the fertilizer. Then you will know what the actual media environment, that is what effects the plants growth.

Rather than worry about the pH of the fertilizer solution measure the water that comes out the bottom of the pot the day after you apply the fertilizer. Then you will know what the actual media environment, that is what effects the plants growth.

How is made this measure?

Thanks

How is made this measure?

Thanks

It is simple.
Pick up the pot and tip it so that the drain hole is at the lowest point and usually some water will run out. That water is your sample that will tell you what your plants roots are working with to grow. Maybe you have to wait a little while for gravity to help get the water out or rapidly move the plant up and down to "shake" out the water. Catch this water in a cup and then measure this sample.

You won't get very much water out of one pot so collect a small sample out of how ever many pots it takes to give enough to measure. By using many different pots you will get an average sample of all the plants in your collection.

Most of the time the media in the pots has enough water at the bottom to get a sample the day after the fertilizer was applied but if not take the sample sooner.

Hello Gonewild thanks for l' aid, I have understood the procedure, but as I can know what eats the plant measuring the ph?

I don't quite understand the question. I think the translator did not quite get it correct.

Please try to ask using a different sentence or explain what you want to know.

Hello, sorry , it is not easy for me to understand and translator often does not translate the sense. I fertilize with dyna-grow always 7-9-5 to 100 ppm N, I have asked information because I have measured fertilizer + RO and with dyna-grow measure PH 4 Me it has been said to carry ph to 6.6 I thought to use produced for Aquarius. You have tried to explain me to recover water POTof you drain from you go yourself and you have understood, but on this water I must measure tds or ec or ph in order to understand what consumes the plant?

Yes the translators often make some very humorous translations!
But now I understand your question.

Measure both ppm and pH from the sample from the bottom of the pot.
That sample will tell you what the conditions in the root area are.

If the ppm is too high then you have the option of using less fertilizer or leaching the media with pure water.

If the pH is not correct then you can do something to improve it.

Just because your freshly mixed fertilizer solution has a low pH does not mean that it remains like that after it enters the media in the pot.

Maybe you have some limestone on the top of the media and that changes the pH of the fertilizer as it enter the pot? Things like this can effect the measurements.

Tell me if you don't understand after the translation.

Ok understood...

you are much patient, thanks...

mine mix is made with chc, me does not remain water in the bottom of the pot the day after, can measure the water champion quickly after to have bathed?

Ok thanks, to how much is advised tds to solution for fertilizer every time that I bathe and in the event solution ph or too much lowland with what is raised?

No you do not need to test every time. Only test to learn what the conditions are.

After you test you decide if you need to make any changes.
Maybe everything is perfect?

When you are happy with the conditions maybe you never need to test again, unless you change your culture methods.

Post the results of your tests here on SlipperTalk and as a group we can give you advice for the best way to make adjustments.

You have to understand that the water washing through does not tell you what the plant is consuming. It is probably the exact same, mineral/pH, etc., when you introduce the fertilizer as what is running out.

Could you sit a plant (in its mix and pot) in a plastic container and fertilize it till a cm or 2 collects in the container, wait an hour, then do the ppm and pH??

Yes, or if its' a single hole pot then plug the hole for a while and let it drain. But also the longer you wait, the pH can drift as the fluid comes in gas equilibrium to the outside air. (TDS is very conservative and will not change much over time).

If you do the catch pan method, then need to minimize the size of the pan to just barely fit the pot. The main thing is you don't want to dilute the first flush pot drip water with lots of your fertilizer mix.

Whatever you do you need to standardize the method for repeatable results.

The method that Lance is recommending (collecting pot drippage) is pretty much what I've read from instructions from County extension agriculture services. So the method is standardized for many years in the general agricultural community. The more you deviate from it, the less you have directly comparable results to the wider community.

Back