Paphs at the 2013 Toronto Artistic Orchid Association Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So maybe I am mixed up, but how is it possible to get an award on the Liberty Taiwan's?

I thought all of the 'legal' species were brought in at a certain time so they would all be blooming size now(according to the AOS site). So how is this one possible? I thought we just went through this with the Chiu Hua Dancer.

Any ideas?

So maybe I am mixed up, but how is it possible to get an award on the Liberty Taiwan's?

I thought all of the 'legal' species were brought in at a certain time so they would all be blooming size now(according to the AOS site). So how is this one possible? I thought we just went through this with the Chiu Hua Dancer.

Any ideas?

the AOS is scared of their own shadow...they dont want to disrupt the status quo of the dept of fish and wildlife

I welcome it, but there NEEDS to be a clear rule for paphs! Not just the vague 1989 rule. I would imagine that with hangianum, Taiwan has produced enough in the last few years to make an exception, if one is now needed or not.

Just when you think you have figured out the rules, you are corrected and therefore, often years behind the awarded growers.

the AOS clearly states that all hangianum hybrids are illegal and therefore cant be judged
http://www.aos.org/default.aspx?id=620

they probably wont consider judging these hybrids until a time has passed where they can be thought of as coming from the legally imported hangianum species plants from last year

i would imagine the stigma of the kovachii scandal has the AOS whipped into being ultra conservative , it hitting so close to home (Florida)

I couldn't make this one so thanks very much for sharing the photos. Those fat illegal Parvi hybrids are wonderful. BTW, Parvi hybrids w/ hang etc have been judged here for years, just slightly uhm,..mis-identified! :p

I couldn't make this one so thanks very much for sharing the photos. Those fat illegal Parvi hybrids are wonderful. BTW, Parvi hybrids w/ hang etc have been judged here for years, just slightly uhm,..mis-identified! :p

i have lots of Lola Birds ;)

I guess the AOS can judge USA illegals hybrids/species in Canada since they're legal there. Just don't try to bring them back across the border!

to ehanes:
I thought the kovachii deal was a legit one from the little I have read. I would imagine that it also allowed for a lot of 'illegals' to get mingled in, if that's what you mean?

My take from talking to judges, growers involved in these controversies and news accounts: the dept of fish and wildlife flexed their muscles a great deal over the importation of kovachii to the US, whether it was illegal or not ..they did enough to scare organizations like the AOS into not legitimizing "illegal" plants, or their "legal" breeding, such as giving them awards(whether or not the AOS wants to admit this).the controversy over chia hua dancer had to do with growers fighting back against blanket rules the AOS adopted without careful review of the breeding out there...so now, the AOS probably feels they need to err on the side of conservatism...and I would also say that until people start correctly identifying their hybrids as hangianum hybrids...this will continue

Latest posts

Back