Paphiopedilum Super Fred! (black pouch)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Ed M

I picked-up this Paphiopedilum Super Fred at the Alabama Orchid show this past weekend. Its a hybrid of Paph. sukhakulii x Fredrich von Hayek, registered in 2007. Flower size is four inches (10cm) across. The pouch is very dark as you can see. It looks almost black. The dark color covers most of the pouch, with the back-side of the pouch an olive green, you can see just a hint of it.

The plant sat on a vendors table throughout the show, pretty much un-noticed. Then, the last hour, I picked it up and noticed how dark the pouch was, liked it, and bought it (inexpensive). As soon as I started walking around with it, people kept stopping me to find out where I got it. Lol.

It may not win a quality award, but the proportions of the flower and stem, color, and the beautiful varigated foliage will make it a nice exhibition plant with multiple blooms in a few years.

WOW... Ed that is just an awesome flower, it's funny how it just happens when you buy a plant and people never saw it, how could that be.

Bravo Ed!!! I do not (yet??) like the really dark ones, but this is a great compromise, with a lovely color composition and a very nice shape on top!!! Jean

I wouldn't knick it out of my GH!! That is one fantastic combo. very little if any white in it. Great eye, Ed

Apparently the Imageshack website is down right now. Let's see if it comes back up soon.

Good thing I went to page 2 or I was gonna go down and give the system admins a 'bat massage'! I bet Ed M. was under the tables Ramon-style when he found the plant! :D

The plant sat on a vendors table throughout the show, pretty much un-noticed. Then, the last hour, I picked it up and noticed how dark the pouch was, liked it, and bought it (inexpensive). As soon as I started walking around with it, people kept stopping me to find out where I got it. Lol.
The reason peoples did not buy it is that the pouch is so black that they didn't see it, they thought it has no pouch:D
Lucky you, what a stunning flower.:clap::clap::clap:

Wow that is amazing! I don't usually like black blooms, but where can I get one. I like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drool:

Back