Paphiopedilum Pyramus: still worth breeding with?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Paphiopedilum Pyramus is available on the local market. It has proven to be a great parent siring 55 first generation plants and is in the back ground of countless others (including the indomitable Winston Churchill). Is this one worth having given the advancement of Paph breeding as it now stands?

Hello,

Paphiopedilum Pyramus is available on the local market. It has proven to be a great parent siring 55 first generation plants and is in the back ground of countless others (including the indomitable Winston Churchill). Is this one worth having given the advancement of Paph breeding as it now stands?

Still something to do with that kind of plant anyway, maybe with different breeding directions... Anyway, if you want one in some years, maybe it is not available anymore. Vintage paphs are leaving us very, very fast...

I agree with sanderianum. While it is probably not a candidate for standard complex breeding anymore, its good fertility make it a possibility for breeding in new directions.

At any rate, these older complex Paphs, particularly the "old breeders" need to be saved. I try to grow as many as I can, given my current lack of space, and I know of others who are doing the same. I would love to have it in my collection, given its history.

More thoughts on the Orchid museum Ross ???
The oldies are goodies and rightly have a place in any collection and the great thing about them is that you rarely have to question the name unlike the discussions on certain species.

More thoughts on the Orchid museum Ross ???
The oldies are goodies and rightly have a place in any collection and the great thing about them is that you rarely have to question the name unlike the discussions on certain species.

I love collecting these older Paphs because I enjoy the history behind them. Also, because many of these older complex Paphs descend from hybrids with unknown parentage, they are truly unique in that they never can be duplicated in any way.

I'm still willing to establish the Vintage Paph Museum. Just send me your divisions! :poke:

Its excellent fertility is what attracts me too, and it is attractive. I like bright colours and like spots. Hmmm... Maybe I will buy it. Who needs 3 meals a day any way?
:rollhappy: :clap:
Sounds like your sold! Why not, go for it!

Latest posts

Back