Paphiopedilum Penelope

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eds

Reaction score
Last Thursday my daughter was born. You can guess from the title above what we called her!

I have a son Henry who is so proud of the henryanum paphs we have (he'd really like me to get a 'Super Bear' one though as it's part of his nickname!).

I'd really love to have a counterpart for my daughter. Does anyone know if Penelope is available any more and if so where I might get it. I am in the UK but would be happy to import it if possible. And if anyone knows a source of Super Bear they'd really make my son happy (for about 5 minutes probably - he's five!)

Thanks both.

I have seen that page Tyrone - just don't know where to get one and was hoping O wouldn't need to recreate it! But if I do then it might be fun trying to!

Tom, I think Ratcliffe Orchids have finished and Paul Phillips linked in page says he's retired.

Charleworthii x lawrenceanum also seems to be called P. Decipiens

What on Earth is going on?

Old hybrids, 1900's record keeping on paper, renaming of species, mistakes, using natural hybrids as species names and then changing your mind... Pick any three or four, there are lots of ways to get there and all have been done at least once. :)

Charlesworthii x lawrenceanum also seems to be called P. Decipiens

I've seen a plant labelled P. Decipiens for sale in the states.

If Decipiens and Penelope are both names for a primary cross from charlesworthii and lawrenceanum, is a plant purchased as Decipiens able to be called Penelope? Are they different or simply different names for the same thing?

If no one knows does anyone know where I might find out?

Contact A & P Orchids: https://www.facebook.com/AP-Orchids-478555548842210/ Their Penelope was only registered in 2019 and should look good (Paphiopedilum Vale of Churchill × Paphiopedilum Hsinying Charles). I think the Decipiens name takes priority for that cross so charlesworthii and lawrenceanum technically isn't Penelope. RHS accepts Penelope for the A & P cross.

Last Thursday my daughter was born. You can guess from the title above what we called her!

I have a son Henry who is so proud of the henryanum paphs we have (he'd really like me to get a 'Super Bear' one though as it's part of his nickname!).

I'd really love to have a counterpart for my daughter. Does anyone know if Penelope is available any more and if so where I might get it. I am in the UK but would be happy to import it if possible. And if anyone knows a source of Super Bear they'd really make my son happy (for about 5 minutes probably - he's five!)
Congratulations! I remember seeing tiny seedlings of SuperBear on eBay awhile ago...

Latest posts

Back