Paphiopedilum gratrixianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinhpicohp

Reaction score
That's the first time of bloom

Haidc20134_zps127d3172.jpg

Haidc2013_zps1b995e07.jpg

Nice, thanks for sharing. At the Paph Forum there were 3 plants labeled gratrix, but with very different dorsals. I think I will claim one as a separate species from the island of Manhattan. :evil:

The vegetative form looks like the gratrixianum from the Bolivan plateau in Laos. The blooms is a little different though.. Posting a pic here. I think the person who sent me the pic wont mind.

Brett
408018_152491188195478_100003037929436_218727_552676959_n.jpg

The vegetative form looks like the gratrixianum from the Bolivan plateau in Laos. The blooms is a little different though.. Posting a pic here. I think the person who sent me the pic wont mind.

Brett
408018_152491188195478_100003037929436_218727_552676959_n.jpg

These look more like insigne (although that species is not noted for Laos).

Interesting that there is almost no purple spotting on the foliage of Vinhpicohp's gratrixianum. How big is this flower? It's certainly different from the flower and plant habit of the afine/gratrixianum types that were from Vietnam.

There is such a huge amount of variation (and inter-relatedness) in gratrixianum and villosum. But if this is a large flower I would consider it more of a villosum variety instead of a gratrixianum.

These look more like insigne (although that species is not noted for Laos).

Interesting that there is almost no purple spotting on the foliage of Vinhpicohp's gratrixianum. How big is this flower? It's certainly different from the flower and plant habit of the afine/gratrixianum types that were from Vietnam.

There is such a huge amount of variation (and inter-relatedness) in gratrixianum and villosum. But if this is a large flower I would consider it more of a villosum variety instead of a gratrixianum.

Hi Rick..

gratrixianum fascinates me as there seems to much variety. Often here in Australia we see affine labelled as gratrixianum. The pic I posted is from a Thai grower. I was supplied one plant of this form. Hope it might flower in a year or so when its recovered from the rigours of importation and that some comparisons may be made then.

Vinhpicohp's plant has wide leaves rather like the plant in my pic. It has often perplexed me that the Vietnam plants are so far distant to the Laos plant population and that the plants have some strong differences with the plant form. Narrow short leaves opposed to longer wide leaves. Mind you I am not a paph expert :)

Brett

Nice gratrix! It reminds me a bit of mine with no green on the dorsal and a minimum of purple spotting on the foliage (and wide leaves as well).

Where did you get yours from?

Nice gratrix! It reminds me a bit of mine with no green on the dorsal and a minimum of purple spotting on the foliage (and wide leaves as well).

Where did you get yours from?

I will check again as I grew it several years ago. This year is its 1st time of blooming and I am only wondering a little green on its dorsal.

I like Risk's comment "There is such a huge amount of variation (and inter-relatedness) in gratrixianum and villosum. But if this is a large flower I would consider it more of a villosum variety instead of a gratrixianum."

My gratrixianum somehow looks like a villosum at least its pounch and petal

Latest posts

Back