Paphiopedilum Chou-Yi Yuki

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Barry

Reaction score
Paph Chou-Yi Yuki (P. hangianum x P. niveum)

Purchased as Paph Sugar Suite a few years back (with a wink and a nod from the vendor). Based upon size and the patterning on the petals, its true identity seems pretty clear. If you have OrchidWiz, take a look of the images of Sugar Suite and you'll see another probable example of a misrepresented Chou-Yi Yuki. It seems inevitable that sooner or later one of these will be awarded as Sugar Suite.

Chou-YiYuki-1.jpg

Regards,
Rick

There is a lot of impostors but very nice plants. In-fact I got two Paph. Sugar Suite but I think it is also Paph. Chou-Yi Yuki.

Ramon:)

Eric,

Yes it is one plant. It actually has a 3rd sheath that hasn't yet pushed out an inflorescence. I doubt if it ever will.

The identification issues with this hybrid (and probably others as well) stem from the interpretation and enforcement of CITES here in the U.S. I doubt if anyone can say how many mislabeled plants have been distributed. Should anyone attempt to breed with them, there is a distinct possibility that they will produce further generations of misidentified plants. Talk about poisoning the well!

Thanks for your comments.
Rick

Back