Paphiopedilum barbatum var. nigritum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky

Reaction score
Paphiopedilum%20barbatum%20var%20nigritum%2009.jpg

Paphiopedilum%20barbatum%20var%20nigritum%2010.jpg

Paphiopedilum%20barbatum%20var%20nigritum%2011.jpg

Paphiopedilum%20barbatum%20var%20nigritum%2012.jpg

Paphiopedilum%20barbatum%20var%20nigritum%2013.jpg

I have to ask - what's your photo gear? Esp. the lens!

Nothing special, I use a Panasonic GF1 (Micro-FourThirds-Kamera) with a LEICA DG Macro-Elmarit 45 mm. These pictures where made with indirect sunlight.

But that´s only one part for getting pictures with such a big depth of field, especially because I work with a aperture of 5.4 to 8.

It used to be known simply as Paph nigritum. The most well known clone is "Dyak Warrier". Which I have, though its not particularly vigorous.

var. nigritum is a common name for the darker color version of barbatum - that can be sold better. ;-)

It is not an accepted name by KEW or IPNI. Maybe P. barbatum nigritum or 'nigritum' would be better. Or only P. barbatum.

I will ask Dr. Braem ....

I think that plant is just a beautiful barbatum ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice specimen of my favourite species... :D But I have to agree, not really dark enough to be considered 'nigritum'..

Since you are in Penang do you get to see a lot of barbatum for sale (that may have been wild plants?).

Playing around on the internet I saw a photo from somebodies orchid shopping spree in Penang, and they had an assortment of barbatum that ranged all over the board from pale to dark.

Kind of makes you think the variability in color intensity is pretty high in this species.

Latest posts

Back