Paph. Yellow Tiger

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Color, I think:

platyphyllum: http://www.orchidweb.com/orchidofweek.aspx?id=664

stonei:
Paph_stoneiB10.jpg

:drool::drool::drool: Lovely Dot!

Am I understanding this correctly - the main difference between stonei & platyphyllum is the width of the leaves, the flowers can be rather similar & platyphyllum may not require as much light, naturally growing is shadier conditions?

Rose, there are more differences between the platyphyllum and stonei than just flower color. In many ways the species platyphyllum plant habit and flower habit look more like a kolopakingii, though definitely not kolopackingii. It can get to be quite a large plant, though most in cultivation do start blooming on smaller plants. For many years, there was only one specimen of platyphyllum in cultivation, and it had been displayed and awarded as stonei var. latifolium 'Ruth Kennedy'. The nearest match for a name was stonei, but it clearly wasn't a stonei. It was an enigma for 30 years or more, until described as a new species. I believe a wild population was found, but I am unclear on the details.

Wow! This picture really has some great depth to it from the spikes pointing backwards and to the right. Neat effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful! Glad I looked back at this thread! :) I bought a Yellow Tiger, knowing it was stonei, not platy used in the cross by the parentage listed, but I still have the Real Yellow Tiger on my wish list too!

As others have said, the photo is stunning, as usual for you, Dot. I love your composition always, and your neutral lighting that utilizes top and subtle side lighting. I must set my photo setup ASAP! I'm looking forward to having it ready for picture taking in the greenhouse.
The plant is also really intriguing. I love the airy feel with the neat striping on both dorsal and synsepal. This will be a four flower inflorescence...how old is this plant?

As others have said, the photo is stunning, as usual for you, Dot. I love your composition always, and your neutral lighting that utilizes top and subtle side lighting. I must set my photo setup ASAP! I'm looking forward to having it ready for picture taking in the greenhouse.
The plant is also really intriguing. I love the airy feel with the neat striping on both dorsal and synsepal. This will be a four flower inflorescence...how old is this plant?
Thanks, everyone. The plant was very photogenic, with the way the spikes faced.

Chris, one thing I don't show in my set-up is that I usually also use a reflector card to bounce light into the front of the flower. They are easy to make -- just take a pice of cardboard about 8.5 x 11, and stretch over it a piece of aluminum foil that you've scrunched up and then straightened out and flattened. It will have all kinds of facets that will catch the light and softly bounce it.

Oops -- almost forgot your question. I don't know for sure how old it is. I first photographed it in 2007, the first time it bloomed for me. i think I got it as a BS plant, so I've probably had it for about 5 years.

Last edited:
I need a mature one of these ASAP!The tiny seedlings I have of these just arent moving fast enough for me,but when they mature I will have plenty of them to pick from.lol!

Latest posts

Back