Paph. William Ambler

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camellkc

Reaction score
I also bought this primary multi-floral hybrid last year and it flowers again now. Although it is definitely not a good clone, I still have satisfactions as I can flower a multi-floral hybrid by myself, with just one year experience on growing paphs.

DS = 4.3 cm; NS = 21.5 cm
DSCN0416_zps8f45d060.jpg

Well done. I think that is a pretty nice clone. I'm not sure if it is the photo but it has a bit of a different look about it.

Looks typical for the cross. I think its a darn good one, now get four to five flowers on a spike and it will be awesome.
Now where do you live?! Its a jungle out there!

Looks typical for the cross. I think its a darn good one, now get four to five flowers on a spike and it will be awesome.
Now where do you live?! Its a jungle out there!

Actually, the growth that blooms this time is not very strong so with 3 flowers. However, there are 2 very strong growth attached to it and have potential to bloom next year, see if it can bloom for four or more flowers then.

I come from Hong Kong and just living in a flat (coz I am a poor man :( ). The place that I took photo is the small park near my living place.

Good job. You're correct, you should be proud if you're growing and blooming multifloral paphs right from the start.

Thank you. I think multi-floral seems most adaptable to my growing environment and to me, it is not as difficult as some growers describe. Of coz, when I try muti-floral, I have done some researches on their general requirements and try my best to provide them with.

However, I have tried another speices like henryanum and spicerianum but they are not happy so far.

Thank you. I think multi-floral seems most adaptable to my growing environment and to me, it is not as difficult as some growers describe. Of coz, when I try muti-floral, I have done some researches on their general requirements and try my best to provide them with.

However, I have tried another speices like henryanum and spicerianum but they are not happy so far.

You have the perfect climate for multi's so you shouldn't have too much trouble. I have a terrible climate but they still grow relatively easy for me. My experience is that they are a pretty hardy group, certainly relative to most of the other Paphs.

I've never gotten more than 3 flowers on my William Ambler. I may get four flowers one day but five seems way out of reach. Given your climate you may have better luck.

Red William Ambler

Actually, this is an above average flowering of a William Ambler. If the pix is accurate, it looks like this clone is expressing a lot of red anthocyanin-like pigmentation. If indeed this is the case, crossing this clone with a good Lady Isabel or other stonei hybrid should produce some spectacular rose tinted flowers.

Actually, this is an above average flowering of a William Ambler. If the pix is accurate, it looks like this clone is expressing a lot of red anthocyanin-like pigmentation. If indeed this is the case, crossing this clone with a good Lady Isabel or other stonei hybrid should produce some spectacular rose tinted flowers.

Thank you for your comments from another angle. In fact, to me, improvements are needed on the dorsal shape and completeness, it is not round enough and I so call "zig-zag" pattern found on the dorsal edge. Also, petals are not much horizontally presented. Anyway, I will treat it good and make it happy to have another bloom next year. See if there are improvements by then.

That is a very typical dorsal edge for this cross. Its not a flaw. Very few, if any, will have better held petals then yours. Maybe a wider dorsal will give you the desired rounding you are looking for.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Pretty good example of the cross. Good colour, petal attitude and flower count is typical. It will be interesting to see how it looks on the next flowering when the plant is bigger.
Have you tried any of the mottle leaf/barbata species and hybrids? They should also do very well for you, and being smaller plants are easier in an apartment.

Pretty good example of the cross. Good colour, petal attitude and flower count is typical. It will be interesting to see how it looks on the next flowering when the plant is bigger.
Have you tried any of the mottle leaf/barbata species and hybrids? They should also do very well for you, and being smaller plants are easier in an apartment.

Other than the huge muti-florals, I have two charlesworthiis, one spicerianum and two complex hybrids. Other than the spicerianum, the other 4 plants seems happy with my management. I used to have one more henry but it seems not happy so far. I took it to my working place and it seems fine with the new environment (as least I can see the plant starts to produce new growth recently).

For the mottle leaf paph., I used to have a maudie but eventually failed.

Therefore, I feel a bit surprise to be able to handle the muti-florals in an apartment growing condition that many growers comment to be a hardy group to handle. And I am just a very green paphs. grower.

P.S. The plant size was actually not small when I bought in May 2013 and of coz, it got bigger and bigger for the new growths. Here is the photo of the plant, which I took in March this year, when the bud started to go out from one of the mature growths:-

IMG_1312_zpsbbbf1731.jpg

Latest posts

Back