Paph What Happened

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Actually it is Paph primulinum X sanderianum = Paph Oberhausens Diament. I have grown this 30 inch leaf span monster since he was a 5 inch leaf span seedling !! I was sooooo excited to see the bud forming, and then a few days later saw these "furry" things sticking up from the crown of the plant:sob::sob:. It has so much potential(petals are still getting longer) and I won't toss it because of this first bloom but I need some sympathy !:(
DSCI0321.jpg

That is a monster. Mine is about half the size and has bloomed :< It's very frusterating to have a plant take us so much space and repay you like that!

Bummer! :sob: Any idea what the 'furry' things are/were? I would assume it was the bud opening prematurely? Are there any more buds?
Anyone have ideas as to why it didn't put up a taller spike?

Bummer! :sob: Any idea what the 'furry' things are/were? I would assume it was the bud opening prematurely? Are there any more buds?
Anyone have ideas as to why it didn't put up a taller spike?

The furry things were the petals:)emerging..I can see something underneath this bloom, but can't tell what it is. The reason, my guess is my culture.:eek: Maybe too dry , and it was converted to SH last year.

I've had two first bloom seedling multi florals open prematurely like this. The other buds opened more normally. As the plants matureed, I've found this problem doesn't occur, again. Anyone else had this experience?

Bummer ! I agree. Give it a stern warning, show it the inside of the bin and then tell it in no uncertain terms that it gets only one more chance to redeem itself ! How dare it reward your nurturing with that nonsense ... damn !
Good luck,
Tim

.......Maybe too dry , and it was converted to SH last year.

I was wondering if water might be a factor. Unfortunate ways to have to learn BUT at least it bloomed & hopefully it will send out a new growth if there isn't one hiding on us!

Hang in there. One of my multiflorals recently, on first bloom, sent up a squished flower like this. But about a month later, up came a good inflorescence from the same growth, and this one was fine. I think I posted a picture of it here somewhere.

Deformed spikes!!!

I do not understand why you guys are so worried about this problem!!
Its just a seasonal malformation. Can happen any time, even to the best awarded stock plant.
Certainly its more common in first flowerers., which as has been said should not repeat on a mature plant.
:poke:
Patience
Paul Phillips (yes I am still around!)

That is a shame, and it looks familiar since we have a paph 'what happened' too, I'll post a pic of it too so you don't feel so lonely.

Back