Paph. superbiens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
Or Paph. superbiens Yawn as it's also called (by me that is). ;)

I'm slightly disappointed with this little premiere bloomer. I had hoped it would have had more colour, been darker and maybe had a larger pouch, but we can't always be lucky now can we?

It's not ugly or anything, just a bit...bland I suppose, nothing to write home about really.

And I think it's supposed to be a regular superbiens, I have a var. curtisii too but the foliage on that one is much more beautiful. Maybe this is a cross between the variants?

Anyway, enjoy!

245427.orig.jpg

245428.orig.jpg

245429.orig.jpg

Paphman910: That's how I wish my superbiens looked like. Tell your friend I'm very envious... Love the dark pouch on the superbiens.

Those are all superbiens but the Mutants has a light color pouch.
Okay, thanks for helping this newbie. :) And I wish mine had a darker coloured pouch... *grumbles*

Yes, temperatures does affect color in Paphs, though not as strongly as in Phrags. Also nutrition will affect color. Low nitrogen can lead to weaker development of the anthocyanins that give reds and purples. Water, humidity and general health of the plant's roots will affect flowers size and to some degree form.

Generally all orchid flowers are affected by culture, though for many the influence is not as immediately obvious as in Phrags.

Yes, temperatures does affect color in Paphs, though not as strongly as in Phrags. Also nutrition will affect color. Low nitrogen can lead to weaker development of the anthocyanins that give reds and purples. Water, humidity and general health of the plant's roots will affect flowers size and to some degree form.

Generally all orchid flowers are affected by culture, though for many the influence is not as immediately obvious as in Phrags.
Interesting. Thanks, Leo.

Latest posts

Back