Paph Quiberon Bay x Paph Brecko Garnet

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bcostello

This is my first blooming of this plant. I have been waiting and waiting for this to open and, (sigh) look at the poor thing. I guess it gets ugly duckling of the month. Besides the pouch being all knobby, the petals have some imperfections also. Does anyone know if this plant has another name?

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

It's not registered yet. Blooming out complex paphs can be a real crap shoot. I bloom out an occasional ugly too. :<

Looks like it has some nice qualities. How was the watering schedule & humidity levels?

Unforunately, by the cross, I'm sorry to say I wouldn't have expected much different to what you got. It could grow into a nice specimen plant but I wouldn't count on any flower improvement. This is from experience.

I'm no judge but I can't say I find this little ugly duckling very appealing at all. Aesthetically the flower looks "odd". Either the petals are too long or the dorsal sepal is too small or the pouch too big. (To be honest, I don't like the big-pouch delenatii hybrids much either so I may just be very biased in this case.) To me, while the petal and pouch imperfections could well be environmental, the "odd" look of the plant is more grievous. It does have handsome colour though. Some where, someone, won the genetic lottery on this cross and has a well balanced flower shape and rich colour. Alas, it wasn't you. Then again... maybe next year the bloom will be better and I will have to eat my words.

Sorry to be so negative.

I'm no judge but I can't say I find this little ugly duckling very appealing at all. Aesthetically the flower looks "odd". Either the petals are too long or the dorsal sepal is too small or the pouch too big. (To be honest, I don't like the big-pouch delenatii hybrids much either so I may just be very biased in this case.) To me, while the petal and pouch imperfections could well be environmental, the "odd" look of the plant is more grievous. It does have handsome colour though. Some where, someone, won the genetic lottery on this cross and has a well balanced flower shape and rich colour. Alas, it wasn't you. Then again... maybe next year the bloom will be better and I will have to eat my words.

Sorry to be so negative.

That's ok. Let's just call it a dog and hope for better next year. Maybe the light level was too high.

I'm glad you took the time to photo and post. This can help all of us to see what parents and grandparents bring out in their kids. Help me out here, I'm guessing this is a cross of a very complex Paph with a complex Maudiae type. Yes?
This would be one of those golden opportunities to jump on a fancy internet phone while standing in front of the vendor, look up the background on these two parents and decide if it's worth the money and time!

Shame about the pouch, but I do like the colours in this one actually.

Reminds me that I should buy certain kinds of breeding either as divisions or in flower. Or raise a bunch of flasks.

Better luck next time,

cheers, Carsten

I'm glad you took the time to photo and post. This can help all of us to see what parents and grandparents bring out in their kids. Help me out here, I'm guessing this is a cross of a very complex Paph with a complex Maudiae type. Yes?
This would be one of those golden opportunities to jump on a fancy internet phone while standing in front of the vendor, look up the background on these two parents and decide if it's worth the money and time!

If it's of interest to others -Quiberon Bay is Milmoore X Winston Churchill. Brecko Garnet is Holdenii x Makuli.

I find this an interesting result. The color and shape is different than I would think with a likely polyploid parent crossed onto a Maudiae type hybrid. Hang onto it and bloom again, perhaps the bumps will disappear.

Latest posts

Back