Paph. (Oberhausens Diament x Fumimasa Sugiyama)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

A new multifloral hybrid opened up. Paph. Oberhausens Diament is primulinum x sanderianum, and Fumimasa Sugiyama is platyphyllum x sanderianum, so this new hybrid is 50% sanderianum. I was expecting the petals to be downswept, but they tend to be more horizontal. The flower is huge ! (20 cm across). This hybrid took a long time to bloom; I made the cross back in March of 2001, and this is the first seedling to bloom.

PaphOberhausensDiamentxFumimasaSugi.jpg

These were the parents:
Paph. Oberhausens Diament:

PaphOberhausensDiament3272000.jpg

Paph. Fumimasa Sugiyama:
PaphFumimasaSugiyamaGoldenFleece528.jpg

Robert

I'd be curious to see a couple others of the cross bloom. This plant seems anomalous for what I would expect. Not saying "it ain't so", just a bit curious.
Leo

The pouch and petals are a lot brighter than either parent. Interesting. I'd like to see how other seedlings of the cross bloom out.

I'd be curious to see a couple others of the cross bloom. This plant seems anomalous for what I would expect. Not saying "it ain't so", just a bit curious.
Leo

Took the words right off my keyboard. I think this might be the oddball from the group??? Certainly want to see more... 20 cm, quite respectable.

-Ernie

The Fumimasa Sugiyama is certainly the pick of this bunch. I can see what was desired of the cross... Maybe a selfing and second round of selection will yield a plant with the Fumimasa Sugiyama shape and bright colours of its progeny with the (ugly) Oberhausens Diament.

I agree with a) this is an unexpected result b) great, intense colour c) primulinum-heavy d) give it another chance (or give it to me) e) really curious how others from the cross will turn out.

Despite this odd first one, good intention an a logical thing to do this cross, Robert!

Best wishes, Carsten

I agree, it totally did not turn out what I was expecting. This just shows you that you do not always get what you think when you make a cross. I made the cross, because like most people I love how the Paph. Fumimasa Sugiyama looks. I wanted to cross it with something else that had sanderianum in it's background. I don't like the flowers of Paph. Oberhausens Diament per se, but what it has going for is that it is a very vigorous plant (thanks to the primulinum background). SO, I was hoping for flowers that would be similar to Paph. Fumimasa Sugiyama, and as this cross would still be 50% sanderianum, I was hoping it would keep the long pendulant petals and maybe even increase the petal length, and have a more vigorous plant.

But one thing you have to keep in mind with this kind of breeding (crossing two primaries) you get way more variation within your cross, than making a pure primary cross, so the next seedling may look totally different. I will keep you posted when the next seedling will bloom.

Robert

Really surprised!!
Would want to see more from the cross??
Mistakes can happen??
Paul

I would guess that there will be quite a bit of variation within such a cross and this particular plant isn't necessarily representative. The genetic combinations are always interesting the farther one gets from a primary cross and often surprises show up.

Latest posts

Back