Paph micranthum in low bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiphius

Reaction score
Finally. After about 5 years, I must have finally (by accident) hit the right conditions last winter. The plant has been growing like crazy and now the 4 largest growths are all showing signs of budding!

micranthumbuds.jpg

They are moving VERY slowly though. I dunno if this is typical of micranthum or if it's just still unsure it really wants to bloom. At this rate it will be at least another 2-3 months before I actually see flowers. Hopefully it doesn't blast before then. If I can get 4 flowers open at once, that would be an incredible display! :)

Well, the cross country move happened. Most of the moss on top of my pots died off during the move and I had a struggle to regrow it due to lower winter humidity in my new growing space. It has just recently gotten back to the point I like to see (the moss is kinda my litmus test - if the moss is happy, paph roots tend to be happy). They did get chilled during the move, but that was only for a day or so... so I doubt that had much impact. My best guess is that the lower humidity and lack of live moss made them drier in spite of my obsessive over-watering :eek:. Funny thing is that they didn't start to bud (at least not visibly) until after I was able to get the moss back (an indicator that they are fairly wet down at the root zone). So maybe they need to go from a few weeks dry --> wet to induce flowering?

Congratulations. Quite an achievement.

I haven't tried to grow P. micranthum yet. I've always been warned it's tough to flower (and sometimes even tough to grow) in my area. Given that it can be a bit pricey to purchase a good sized, healthy plant or two, I've always opted for stuff I feel like I at least have a chance of being successful with. I know of people who grow or have grown micranthum around here, but blooms seem to be pretty elusive. If they were more plentiful and cheaper, I might even be willing to experiment with leaving them out in the fall/winter until nights start dropping into freezing temperatures to see if that helps induce flowering. But I think most people would be hesitant to push the limits and lose their plants. Ramble. Ramble. Ramble.

On the plus side, the NC mountains are only a few hours drive away, and at higher elevations where temperatures are cooler, people seem to have decent luck, so I get to see the results when they bring them to shows!

I flower quite a few of these now. I think letting them get down to near freezing during the winter is beneficial to flowering.

Thanks for the tips! I knew they liked to get cool in the winter, I didn't realize they liked it quite that extreme.

I love it. I'm a little nervous about leaving mine out all year. I've had one for 6 years and as Erc said I set it back quite a bit from over potting. Even though it was in a basket it stayed too wet, so over watered in a round about way.
Don

Interesting... mine has always seemed to like it quite wet...

I used to have them in 2.5 inch deep rose pots but when I went to repot them, I kept finding that they were sending out tons of runners which were just plunging straight down to the bottom of the pot and circling. So I went ahead and repotted all of them into a large tub (10+ inches) so that the runners have more room to stretch and it seems happier now - from the runners I was able to bring to the surface, there are now about 7-8 small growths. I have them potted in bark with some crushed oyster shell and a top layer of moss. The moss is always very wet and they don't seem to mind.

micpot.jpg

I think I probably just got lucky and landed with a super vigorous clone though. When I initially got it and was repotting it, (it came as two, two-growth pieces... not sure if they are divisions of the same plant or different plants) a small piece of rhizome with a few scraggly roots broke off while I was repotting it. I threw this in a bag and was intending to discard it. But a couple weeks later when I went to throw it away, I glanced in the bag and that scraggly broken piece was sprouting three new growths!

Needless to say, it did not get thrown away...

Yes. Micranthum, armeniacum and their primary hybrids can go mad with runners. I feel bad for mine trapped in small pots. Most if the runners end up dead somewhere inside the pot. lol
Agressive growers, often. :)

Back