Paph. Maudiae 'The Queen' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't get this on Ebay...I did get it from Thanh Nguyen through his private sales email....I questioned him about whether it was really the Queen, as I had never seen it at that price before ($35)....while he assured me that it was, I got it knowing that it was a gamble....there were no photos....even if it is Edgard van Belle, it was still a good deal...multigrowth, and in bud....Its just beginning to open now, and while I cannot see much, the petals appear to be narrow...too soon to see if they have warts on the front surface. The pouch also appears to be narrower than Edgard van Belle also...but I'll know for sure in a few days. Take care, Eric

I think that auction I was recalling was one of his. By no means was I certain, nor was I calling him out, but the foliage just looked 'different' to me. could have been environmental though. I wasn't in the market for one of the greens or else I might have snapped it up myself. got a pic of the plant?

I'm going to take a picture when the bloom opens....today I could see a little more of the petals...no warts on the front as far as I can see, but its still pretty closed up. I still have'nt been successful at uploading photos to the list...then again, I haven't tried that many times. But when I figure it out...and get the pictures taken, I'll post them...Take care, Eric

OK...its open now, and I moved it indoors. Its definitely a Maudiae, no question...I'll take a picture tomorrow, as the dorsal still needs some time to fully expand...To me , it looks like a large Magnificum...but it does resemble the picture you posted where its right next to EvB....I measured it, 4.6" across the petals. Is that a reasonable size range? (I've always heard 5"....) This is for a bud developing outdoors in summer.....Take care, Eric

I think it's hard to tell based on size alone, 5-5.5" is probably average for 'The Queen', with higher or lower depending on conditions and plant size. I'm sure a specimen 'Magnificum' will also push 5-5.5" too...maybe a foliage pic while you're firing up the camera?

This picture is HUGE and long to download even with broadband. But the Paph itself is very nice.

OK...here is the foliage shot....I did some googling, and I am now really confused about these Maudiaes.....There were shots of the Queen that looked different, others looked like mine...shots of Magnificum that looked more like the Queen than any Magnificum I've ever seen, Foliage shots that look nothing like Jason's...Also, Orchid's Ltd also says that Bankhaus is identical to the Queen...yet the Bankhaus I had years ago was more like Magnificum, which as I recall was about 4" across....I wonder if all of these old green Maudiae's are hopelessly confused...I would certainly not blame any dealer who sold the wrong clone (as long as the price was reasonable...)...at least Edgard Van Belle is very distinctive....Take care, Eric

Wow! Sorry folks...I didn't realize that imageshack produced such huge pictures..sorry for the inconvenience (but I kind of like it myself...) Take care, Eric

hmmm...the flower definitely looks like a Maudiae...I've seen a grand total of maybe 5 pieces of 'The Queen' whose foliage looked similar to each other, and this foliage does look different (much more contrast on the tessellations). I'm sure environment changes foliage somewhat but could that explain this variation I do not know. a long time ago had a piece of 'Magnificum' and that didn't look like this either. maybe someone else who has grown a few Maudiae cultivars can weigh in? the flower is nice regardless though.

One of the pictures of The Queen that I saw doing a google search showed very strong tesselation, even more distinct than mine....I definitely feel that since these Maudiae clones are so old there has been plenty of mix-ups between them....who knows how many "Queens" , "Magnificums" and "Bankhaus's" there are.....Take care, Eric

yep, I'm sure there's quite a bit of confusion out there. what you could do is use the pollen to make a cross--if you get seedlings you know it's definitely not the queen!

Well, according to Koopowitz and Hasagawa's book, the Queen is suspected of being the parent to Edgard Van Belle and Mdm Maurice Mertens....even though its generally infertile. Supposedly Magnificum is also a poor parent....Take care, Eric

Just an update on measurement.....I measured it again today, after its been fully open for 48 hours...it increased to 4.8" across the petals. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back