Paph. Maudiae 'The Queen' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
According to Orchids Limited website, this large, vigorous clone was originally awarded under the name of Paph. Maudiae 'Bankhaus' FCC/AOS. It's an easy grower and easy bloomer. It makes a great, giant specimen plant, which is what I plan to do with mine.

1553.jpg

Looks great! I love the Queen....however, I'm not sure about its equivalence with Bankhaus. I used to have that clone too....and while its is great, its not quite as impressive or large as The Queen....If anything, its (at least the one I had) more equivalent to Magnificum...Take care, Eric

Looks great! I love the Queen....however, I'm not sure about its equivalence with Bankhaus. I used to have that clone too....and while its is great, its not quite as impressive or large as The Queen....If anything, its (at least the one I had) more equivalent to Magnificum...Take care, Eric

Thanks everyone.:)

I didn't know about the double naming and double awarding of this clone until I read about it on the Orchids Limited website. I've grown 'Magnificum' in the past and it certainly can't hold a candle to the size of 'The Queen'. Perhaps someone pulled a fast one on you and sold you a piece of 'Magnificum' with the 'Bankhaus' FCC/AOS name on it instead. I wouldn't know, myself. I haven't seen the 'Bankhaus' divisions that Orchids Limited is selling. Maybe Jason or Jerry or Robert would like to comment on this?

I actually got my "Bankhaus" in a trade, so I hadn't spent anything on it. From what I have read, there was a lot of mix-ups in the early days of Maudiae hybridizing, and many of the original clones like Bankhaus and Magnificum were mixed up...and, in some cases, the clones were re-named. Its only been on the OL site...actually, one of their catalogs from the late 80's...that I've read that Bankhaus and the Queen were the same. Take care, Eric

As stunning as ever..

The picture looks like what I have known as 'The Queen'. I've seen plants labeled 'The Queen' and 'Bankhaus' displayed together that certainly did not appear to be the same clone. I can easily believe that these clones and others have become mislabeled and confused over the course of 100+ years. Unless it is somehow very well documented that the same clone was awarded under 2 names it seems more likely that some got mixed up long after the fact.

Latest posts

Back