Paph. LSF Gold Standard

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brian Monk

This is Gold DOllar x kolopakingii. I gave a lecture at the Florida West Coast Orchid Society in Largo, Florida last week, and one of the members brought this plant. It was stunning in person, but I could only get this one rather poor image. Two flowers were open, with a third bud opening. Bright golden yellow, on a 35 cm (!) inflorescence, these flowers were standing at the top of a veritable flag pole! The grower informed me that this was far from the best one that had opened, and that he had 6 or 8 more at his greenhouse. The generosity of orchidists amazes me, because the next day after a tour of his greenhouse, he gave me two of the plants, an unbloomed one and the pick of the litter! The last had an almost 40 cm old spike, and he said that it held 4 flowers of better size and form than the one pictured. In addition, he had a gigantic Mexipedium growing ot of a sixteen inch pot, and he promptly broke off four pieces and gave them to me. I was floored. If you want to see his greenhouse, you can see photos at my blog. The world of orchids is absolutely filled with the most amazing people I have ever known.

lsfgoldstandard.jpg

Lovely flowers and yes, there are some very generous orchid people out there. I've met some myself.

Brian, just beautiful. Would you be so kind as to put my name on one of those plants for a division years from now when it is dividable? I've never seen that cross, if I do, I'll grab more than one of those. Also, has the pollen ever made it to you and what if anything have you done with it?

Bob -
I am putting the pollen onto a Brachypetalum hybrid that consistently throws three blooms per inflorescence. Last year, the Brachy had two open while the third was in bud.

That's an amazing flower, and I'm really looking forward to see pics of your pick, once it flowers. Have you noted that cupped dorsal as being consistent in this cross?
I've got Iantha Stage and Woessner Kolosuk in bloom, and the latter has inherited the "kolo petal stance", i.e. horizontal, which is a bit unfortunate.

Superb! Just what the breeder would have been trying to produce.

I don't know what it's like in the States, but my experience of the club members in NZ suggests that people really appreciate others making the effort to give lectures. This is just someone showing gratitude for that, I suppose.

That's an amazing flower, and I'm really looking forward to see pics of your pick, once it flowers. Have you noted that cupped dorsal as being consistent in this cross?
I've got Iantha Stage and Woessner Kolosuk in bloom, and the latter has inherited the "kolo petal stance", i.e. horizontal, which is a bit unfortunate.

YEs, that is something I have noticed, When Chck gave me the plant, that was the one feature that he said made that particular plant "the best" - it lacked a cupped dorsal and was very flat.

Latest posts

Back