Paph. kolopakingii var. topperi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggshells

Humongous Gnat
Reaction score
Hello folks, me and my friend just wants a confirmation. This is kolopakingii var. topperi. Correct?

Does anyone have a copy of the official description of this variety or can anyone tell the history of var. topperi? Thanks.

1901503_10202292286601332_912015514_n.jpg

10155501_10202292286801337_325592443_n.jpg

It is a var. topperi because it is green and white with very little brown in the flowers as far as what I have seen.

dang..no clue if it is kolo or topperi, but it scares the heck out of me when i think about where i am going to put my 2 plants when they reach that size, which will be all too soon!

Kolo var topperi was named after Richard Topper. The same as my Paph richardianum also, named after Richard Topper. He imported lots of orchids, mostly Paphs in the same time frame as Ray Rands. He ran his nursery and tropical bird farm out of North Carolina I believe it was. My first sanderianum (jungle collected) came from Mr. Topper back in the 90's
Anyways, he was very adamant about having this species named Paph topperi. The taxonomists refuse to hear of it but did make it a variety of kolopakingii. He made his money selling exotic birds but tried his luck with slippers and Rands was getting out of the aircone pot business so Topper bought the molds. I made several whole sale purchases, that's why I have so many today!
He eventually die a young man of lung cancer from heavy cigarette smoking and his son-in-law took over the business. At this time, an ex-friend of mine with lots of money from his doctor boyfriend bought a large portion of Topper's Paph collection. Greed of course kills and that's what happened to the plants and a whole lot more.
I probable told you all way more then you ever wanted to here so I'll end with, "Nice kolopakingii var. topperi"!:D

No Rick, that was actually what I am looking for. I always like to hear stories about the slipper orchids even if the story is joyful or tragic or both. Thanks for information. Very much appreciated.

No Rick, that was actually what I am looking for. I always like to hear stories about the slipper orchids even if the story is joyful or tragic or both. Thanks for information. Very much appreciated.

Me too. These are names that we have heard, but without too much information attached, it is nice to put them in context and 'flesh them out' a bit.

So I gather from the information already given in replies above, that var. topperi is the paler form? When I used to import plants for trade in the 80's, topperi was simply distinguished by being much larger than kolo, and carried a higher flower count, with no distinguishing features being applied to the flowers themselves. Would anyone care to give a bit more information on what the actual differences are supposed to be?

Hi

The original description was as Paph. topperi.
It aaas described by Braem & Mohr in Schlechteriana, fascicle 2, page 15-22 in 1988.

I have the original description somewhere on my bookshelf.

Kind regards
Lars

--------------------------
New Paphiopediulum monograph is out!
On Amazon In iBookstore Barnes & Noble

Thanks Lars, Is there any chance you can send me the clipping of that article when you have time. I don't have access to that resource myself unfortunately.

Me too. These are names that we have heard, but without too much information attached, it is nice to put them in context and 'flesh them out' a bit.

So I gather from the information already given in replies above, that var. topperi is the paler form? When I used to import plants for trade in the 80's, topperi was simply distinguished by being much larger than kolo, and carried a higher flower count, with no distinguishing features being applied to the flowers themselves. Would anyone care to give a bit more information on what the actual differences are supposed to be?

Well, from what I understand. The kolopakingii is the brown colored type. The clone Riopelle came to mind. I think lienluu has a post here. Then kolopakingii var. topperi has the green cast with brownish green stripe like the one david (emydura) posted. And the last var. katherinae is the albino type.

The one you posted a few months back is the kolopakingii one?

Hi

I will dig into my archives :)

Until then, here is from Braem, Chiron and & Öhlund:

“Paphiopedilum kolopakingii forma topperi (Braem & Mohr) Braem & Chiron
in Braem & Chiron, Paphiopedilum: 346 (2003)

BASIONYM
Paphiopedilum topperi Braem & Mohr
in Schlechteriana, fascicle 2: 15-22 (1988)

DISCUSSION
Braem & Mohr originally published Paphiopedilum topperi as an autonomous species. After reviewing the pertinent literature and examining a number of plants over the last years, we have come to the conclusion that P. topperi should be reduced to a colour variant of P. kolopakingii. We do not sink the taxon completely into the concept of P. kolopakingii as breeders have convinced us that hybrids made with forma topperi are quite different from those obtained with the nominal form of P. kolopakingii. The suggestion by Cash (1991) that Paphiopedilum topperi is to be considered an albinistic form of P. kolopakingii is impossible as the flowers of Paphiopedilum kolopakingii forma topperi are adorned by dark brown stripes and spots of that same colour.”

On Amazon In iBookstore Barnes & Noble

Latest posts

Back