Paph Ken's Festive

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paph Ken's Festive = Festive Hunter x glaucophyllum

PaphKensFestive.jpg

Nice flower, but I have to say I would never have guessed glaucophyllum to be one of the parents! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oddly, the Cochlos shape influence seems to "go away" to some extent when crossed to complex hybrids. Jim Blanford has an awsome Winston Churchill X glauco that looks almost exactly like WC but a little smaller and blooming a couple times a year with two flowers per spike. SOmetimes the form opens up a little though. Still a good area of breeding IMO.

-Ernie

Oddly, the Cochlos shape influence seems to "go away" to some extent when crossed to complex hybrids. Jim Blanford has an awsome Winston Churchill X glauco that looks almost exactly like WC but a little smaller and blooming a couple times a year with two flowers per spike. SOmetimes the form opens up a little though. Still a good area of breeding IMO.

-Ernie
Ernie, your lecture on Cochlopetallums and pictures of Jim B's plant inspired me to search out different crosses of this sort. :)

Candace, the division is small and just establishing itself. I'm surprised it bloomed this year. Hopefully, the dorsal twist will resolve itself as the plant gets bigger.

Ross,
With the plant in your hands, what do you see in this flower that show the most glauco influence? I find the spotting patteren in the dorsal (forming a circle of sorts) interesting. Is this patteren true or does it look this way because of the twist in the dorsal? Does the Festive Hunter parent have this patteren already?

Ross,
With the plant in your hands, what do you see in this flower that show the most glauco influence? I find the spotting patteren in the dorsal (forming a circle of sorts) interesting. Is this patteren true or does it look this way because of the twist in the dorsal? Does the Festive Hunter parent have this patteren already?

I've never seen Festive Hunter (Festivity x Mildred Hunter), but here's a picture of Mildred Hunter.
PaphMildredHunterIleana.jpg

Paph Kens Festive was made by Merritt Huntingdon when he was just the Manager at Kensington Orchids in the 70's and the seed raised by Ratcliffe. We shared the progeny and flowered several awarded clones. I think the best was the one we called "Lime Cocktail" AM/RHS/AOS. We still have this clone in our stock including 3 other worthy contenders
I do not have it scaned to show you!
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
Paul Phillips

Latest posts

Back