Paph. Hsinying Moonlight

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
I like this complex! (primulinum x Yosemite Moon)

Paph_HsinyingMoonlight09.jpg

Very nice color and not bad for shape for the style of flower but I don't think I would call it a complex.
In judging criteria, it's not a species nor it is a primary. Anything beyond primary is called complex -- doesn't necessarily mean bulldog.

ok, different countries different terms. Can I ask where the term Bulldog came form in regards to Paphs please. Its a rather degrading term I think.

Maybe Paul Philips can correct me if I'm wrong, but the type of breeding was mastered in the UK. Maybe there is some connection between dog breeeding for pudgy, round, stalky creatures and this line in slippers. A stretch, I dunno?

Anyway, like Dot said, in the US for ribbon judging, at least in regions using the Mid-America show schedule, we break Paphs down into species (single flowered, successive flowered, and multiflowered), primaries (by predominant color), and everything else called "complex" (by predominant color). I personally disagree with this scheme because a third generation hybrid gets compared to a classic bulldog/toad/complex even if the tertiary hybrid is a Brachy, Parvi, Cochlo, Pardalo, , Barbata... or some mix of the sections.

This hybrid is a true yellow/green complex toad/bulldog onto a Cochlo (prim). So, by our show schedule, it is a "complex hybrid".

I don't take any negative meanings from these names- just helps us talk about them in common terms I guess.

-Ernie

maybe the plant is complex (I do not like the term Bulldog either!), but the coloring is simple, bright, magnificent!!!! Jean

This is a truly beautiful hybrid!

In our system, we distinguish between species, hybrids and flowers. Hybrids are crosses with at least one species as a direct parent, so that can be a primary as well as Dot's flower. The term "flower" refers to anything more complex, thus can be a classical complex but also a cross between two primaries. Judges are supposed to know and consider the lines of breeding.

Best wishes, Carsten

I agree with Ernie about the classification problems. I thought that the Mid-America was going to do something about this this past year, but they really didn't address this issue. Or add anything to the Phrag group, which to me has way too many Phrag types squished into 3 categories.

Latest posts

Back