Paph dianthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
I was all excited about this line bred dianthum coming into bud but at last, someone must end up with the avg ones :(
I was hoping for that prefect flower; large flared out dorsal, dark petals etc.
Paphdianthum1_zps3c9bc017.jpg

Paphdianthum3_zpsdd4235ae.jpg

Last edited:
Never judge a paph from ist first flower. And, four average flowers on a stem will still make a great display one day. Third, consider yourself lucky. It could have been sub average.

Cheer up Rick, there are worse things in life than an average P. dianthum. I like it and if I was you I would be glad.

Never judge a paph from ist first flower. And, four average flowers on a stem will still make a great display one day. Third, consider yourself lucky. It could have been sub average.

LOL, So True! I could of ended up with a dead, rotten plant in a pot for my 20 bucks!
Blooming in the middle of Aug has a big influence on the final outcome I got. I did come across pretty boo hooie didn't I?

Those petals are dark for a dianthum compared to all the others I've seen it's the shape thats a little off, first blooming?

Well twisted petals! Colour is not that bad, I would be happy to just get one to bloom. mine are incredibly slow, next season perhaps, in the meantime I am happy to be able to enjoy your pictures (great pictures too)

Yep, I surprised myself with that second PIC! Well the maroon color in the petals didn't come out as i was hoping for but the intensity of the greens in this clone are very impressive.

I bought a seedling from Ratcliffe Orchids when they had the business in FL...ages ago, and the plant bloomed out just like yours, perhaps worse in terms of dorsal shape--the dorsal opened normally for a couple of days, then made a 90-degree turn and twisted a little, looked like some teens with the funny mohawk hairdo...It is a freak but unique, so I kept it and I still have it. Matter of fact, It is in bloom now with two spikes. Do you still have yours? You have to have a soft spot for the special kids...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back