Paph Bella Lucia x Concobellatulum 'Utopia'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioland

Reaction score
IMG_82673.jpg

Interesting contrast between the pouch and the rest of the flower or is that just the lighting playing tricks on my old eyes?

Looks like the pouch is blurry. That's why it looks different than the rest of the flower. It has to do with how the shutter speed of the camera is adjusted.

BTW Paphioland, this cross has been registered and it's called Conco Lucia. Love your clonal names.

Does this plant have Buddha-nature or not? that is the real question. Rusty

Looks like the pouch is blurry. That's why it looks different than the rest of the flower. It has to do with how the shutter speed of the camera is adjusted.
Actually it has to do with depth of field, which is a function of the aperture setting. Shutter speed can cause motion blur, but that's not what is happening on this flower.

Nice flower, by the way!

Actually it has to do with depth of field, which is a function of the aperture setting. Shutter speed can cause motion blur, but that's not what is happening on this flower.

You are correct that the aperture controls the depth of field.; however, the shutter speed goes hand in hand with the aperture (can't have one without the other). If you adjust the aperture without adjusting the shutter speed appropriately, you'll get overexposed or underexposed images. With smaller aperture, the shutter should stay opened longer, causing longer exposure resulting in a better depth of field so that the whole flower is "in focus". You can adjust each separately with regular cameras. With digital cameras, they seem to be tied together (at least for the digital camera I have). You can adjust one or the other, but not both at the same time. When I set the aperture, it automatically adjusts the shutter speed and vice versa. Since I haven't used a regular camera for some time and I'm so used to the digital age, I lumped the two together (my bad).

You are correct that the aperture controls the depth of field.; however, the shutter speed goes hand in hand with the aperture (can't have one without the other). If you adjust the aperture without adjusting the shutter speed appropriately, you'll get overexposed or underexposed images. With smaller aperture, the shutter should stay opened longer, causing longer exposure resulting in a better depth of field so that the whole flower is "in focus". You can adjust each separately with regular cameras. With digital cameras, they seem to be tied together (at least for the digital camera I have). You can adjust one or the other, but not both at the same time. When I set the aperture, it automatically adjusts the shutter speed and vice versa. Since I haven't used a regular camera for some time and I'm so used to the digital age, I lumped the two together (my bad).
There were film cameras that were semi-automatic (aperture-preferred and/or shutter speed-preferred), totally automatic, or totally manual. The same is true of digital cameras. Everything you said about exposure is true of both film and digital cameras. Apparently your camera is semi-automatic.

But it is important to distinguish between optical blur (aperture: depth of field) and motion blur (shutter speed control) -- the visual effects are different on each one, and all things being equal, the photo in question is a case of shallow depth of field.

Latest posts

Back