P. kolopakingii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murcielago

Reaction score
251833_10150966012040289_686335288_12227726_1612596765_n.jpg

Wow niec, How many flowers in total and does it have big leaves. Would love to see the whole plant with some of scale for size reference.

Hey you guys...hope all is well. I have a question on this plant. Should/Can I divide this up?
DSC_0502.jpg

It's really a huge plant and it would be nice to make two smaller size ones out of it.
DSC_0505.jpg

Here's another of the pot:
DSC_0504.jpg

And are the leaves always this dirty looking or did I get a bad deal? I bought it at the Ashville show in March. It was in bloom, so when may I expect the next bloom with kolopakingii? Thanks

I guess I should have stated what it is. :) It too is a P. kolopakingii. That's why I asked on this thread. I hope that's acceptable. Don't want too many threads right?
The reason I asked about dividing it because it looks like it is divided already, doesn't it?

While it looks like the plant is growing in two different directions, I would hesitate to divide it. Single growth divisions are more difficult to reestablish than multi-growth divisions. Give it time.

Eggshells, Shiva and nikv I hear ya and will take your advice.
murcielago: Sorry to jump in on your thread. Hope it was ok. Your kolopakingii is very nice by the way. I was wondering if you could show me the plant. thanks

Newbud, don't divide it until you have 3 strong growths per division. I didn't know that and almost killed my first orchid by dividing it into single growths.

Murcielago, that is a superb kolopakingii. I love the pale color and the strong patterns. Your photo is very good also.

You both seem pretty new to Slippertalk, and I don't remember that I've welcomed you before, so welcome now!

Repot it. If the growths stay connected, keep them together. As everyone has suggested, its better to build up a paph to a multigrowth state before dividing. However, if the growths separate, they were already essentially divided, and will be better off in separate pots.

Repot it. If the growths stay connected, keep them together. As everyone has suggested, its better to build up a paph to a multigrowth state before dividing. However, if the growths separate, they were already essentially divided, and will be better off in separate pots.

Ditto.

Beautiful kolo! How many flowers did you have on the spike??

Thanks Dot. I've been growing since Jan. '12. So yes, very new. This brings up another question. I bought that little Fritz Schlomberg a few weeks back and it was wrapped in wet newspaper which is the way Ivan from Ecuagenera brought them into the country.

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

When I unwrapped it there were two separate plants with the roots somewhat entangled but easily came apart. So I thought hmmmm, two PK hybrids for the price of one and potted two pots. Was this the smart thing to do?

Very nice kolopakingii indeed... I am pretty certain it is the Sarawak/Kalimantan border type, I have few in bloom right now with the same flower pattern.

Back