Other stuff

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
I got plants from Charles [in Central NY] and from Aoki that are perfect for my culturing habits [read excessive watering]. A papyrus plant and a African Violet type [Sinningia Pusilla]. The papyrus arrived pretty dessicated and I [unfortunately] put it into a sandy mix, and it languished. When I followed Charles' advice and put it into water it put out 2 new growths. ILOVEIT!!!! Ki's little sinningia is growing on moist sphagnum in a teeny plastic cup [from the pet store]. It's about 1" across and it flowers! I'm going to order about 5 more asap. I will post photos if I can. :p

Heh. I repotted the rest of the papyrus in some rich mix in a few different pots and soaked the heck out of it and it sat on a plastic tray on my kitchen floor (my repotting bench and workshop, only place with no carpeting). I didn't pay attention and a few days later the plants were looking pretty dry themselves! They really do like sitting in water no matter how moist the media is itself. Splash away, they will soak it all up. (hawaiian tree fern, hawaaaaaaaaiiian treeeeeee ferrrrrrn........) (subliminal messaging) ;)

Hey, you know, if you really like watering things, how about getting some watering setups each with a different species of sphaghum moss in it?! Hey, might sound funny but they float on water so I'm sure you could water to your heart's content. .......could always drain off a little water here and there from those tanks and use for your acidic-loving phrags and other orchids. Some native orchids will only grow in particular species of sphagnum, like southern twayblade will only grow in upstate ny in a certain reddish species of sphagnum, and not other lighter-colored ones. It could be a challenging hobby to collect them all! :D

anyhow, good luck with your new plants

Awesome, we need photos!
Here you go.
Mess o' gesneriads
P7230370.jpg

Papyrus plant
P7230371.jpg

Sinningia pusilla unfolding and if you look closely Platystele ortiziana flowers
P7250375.jpg

small plants
P7250377.jpg

I can't believe people do actually grow platystele...:p So, are you gonna acquire podochilus and corybas next..? :poke:

The source I had in line for corybas in Singapore [a total stranger] must have been offended that I didn't want to send him money directly, so I didn't get any. :p
If I could I'd get some and some cool zeuxines also.

Turned out to be a mouse w/ a really fat butt! Unfortunately the run through the walls here; I put out traps but no luck. No further damage since I spotted her though. :p

Latest posts

Back