Orchid Virus Article

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a bit of a myth that Paphs don't get viruses. But from what I have read they are just as likely to get it as other orchids. The scary thing for Paph growers is that they don't show any symptoms other than grow and flower very poorly. You have no idea your plants are infected.

David

Last edited:
Sterilize your cutting tools everytime you use them and between each plant and get rid of any plant that show unusual signs of discoloration or streaks in leaves. And buy from reputable sellers. There's little else you can do. :sob:

Was a very good article.

This could be 'nipped' if the industry cared but few do and I've had a few discussions where folks really come out and tell you they don't care if they are virused or not. That type of mentallity will keep the world of orchid viruses alive and well for many many years....very sad.

Mass produced mericlones have been the biggest issues, especially Phalaenopsis. I have refrained the purchase of them generally, those statistics are very high. Most everyday phal growers don't care, I am not suprised, and I doubt the profit driven mericlone producers would throw out their whole batch because of a virus. I've caught phal viruses before, and I returned a plant (...no suprise the plant was put back on the shelf and sold again)

Support your hybridizers and true hobby vendors rather than your grocery store phal businesses.

I only consider seedling grown plants low risk for viruses now. And I rarely use clippers anymore, but I snap spikes and dead leaves and pseudobulbs off. Mericlones are not grown too closely together with seedling grown plants.

Was a very good article.

This could be 'nipped' if the industry cared but few do and I've had a few discussions where folks really come out and tell you they don't care if they are virused or not. That type of mentallity will keep the world of orchid viruses alive and well for many many years....very sad.

... as the last statement in the article implies.

Latest posts

Back