Orchid 'apprentice'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAB

Reaction score
Has anyone ever "apprenticed" under someone learning how to breed, grow, propagate orchids? Is this something that is common or at the very least certain growers are open to? I come from a traditional martial arts background where one studies under a teacher for a lifetime (in theory). This relationship is often akin to a father - son dynamic.
Has anyone heard of such a practice in the orchid realm? Any of the breeders want to chime in and offer your thoughts? It is something I have been contemplating in an effort to learn from somebody hands on.

Thanks
JAB

On this forum, most or all questions you ask will most likely be answered, there are quite a few veteran growers that frequent this website, as far as apprentice growing.... that would be luck of the draw to find a local grower you could frequent and be given culture tips.

That was a lot more common before the internet..I learned hands on from two people in the nineties..Janet Hanson (White River Orchids) and Bill Leonard (Hoodview Orchids). You can learn a lot from working in an orchid shop (I worked at Seattle Orchids for two months and learned a lot about species). I do know of some retired growers who have talked fondly of having mentors back in the day.

Troy,
That is good to know, but as you know there is no substitute for hands on learning (at least that is the best way I learn).

It is positive to know that there are some folks open to it.
Ehanes,
Are those growers in the Seattle area?

Thanks
JAB

I think he's interested in actual growing part rather than judging and stuff.

I see that there are some growers who visit here, but many do not.
I would say the best route will be to look up orchid nurseries in your area and make some phone calls.

I'm sure there will be someone who is willing to have you around, but it will depend on factors like your current knowledge on orchids & orchids growing (some might be wiling to teach you but to others, it might just be extra hassle that they rather not have in already busy schedule and life they run), the agreement on details of your duties, and whether money would be/should be involved or not and if so, how much..will matter a lot I would think.
Only talking to them directly will help you.

Best of luck to you!

Troy,
That is good to know, but as you know there is no substitute for hands on learning (at least that is the best way I learn).

It is positive to know that there are some folks open to it.
Ehanes,
Are those growers in the Seattle area?

Thanks
JAB

they don't grow orchids anymore, Bill was from Portland

Correct, less interested in the judging aspect of AOS at the moment.
Solid points all around. I have started to ask around to various folks. I will sort it out I'm sure, was just wanting to pick the brains of the many different backgrounds here.

Happy holidays

Not formally an apprenticeship, but I learned a lot from volunteering and then working at Porter's Orchids in Grand Ledge, MI. Definitely learning by hands-on.

Another option is a museum or other organization that may have an orchid collection. Here in DC one could volunteer at the Smithsonian and volunteer in their greenhouse; the British Embassy has a collection; I think Hillwood Estates has an orchid collection that uses volunteers, etc.

I did most of my learning under the guidance of John M who posts on here. He kind of took me under his wing. That was years ago....I still learn something new every time I see him.

It pays to carefully take note of what experienced growers have to offer. And never be afraid to ask questions. Most good growers will go out of their way to help you.

I did most of my learning under the guidance of John M who posts on here. He kind of took me under his wing. That was years ago....I still learn something new every time I see him.

It pays to carefully take note of what experienced growers have to offer. And never be afraid to ask questions. Most good growers will go out of their way to help you.

I learned so much from Terry Root and just hanging out at the orchid zone. There is no way to learn that much through your own experience. On top of his vast experience, I know Terry learned lots from the people before him. Every time I've met Machan he's taught me something new as well. The rest I've had to learn by trial and error. Discussing with other orchid enthusiasts I trust. Id recommend just going to many reputable nurseries and look at their breeding and really analyze it. See how they do things. That is a flaw of most "judges" they don't see enough to really be experts in an area. Go look at all the breeding trends. Go to Japan. Go to Taiwan. You could ask john if you could help out at the orchid zone. You will learn lots there. In the end you will learn that you can't compete with large volume breeders unless you really specialize or invest tons in breeding plants every generation. It won't be financially feasible if profit is your goal. Especially complex Paphs. So many have to be bloomed to get the great ones.

You can learn a lot from this forum. It's how I learned how to grow Paphs. Find people that grow under SIMILAR circumstances as you do. Learn from their triumphs and failures. Then tweak to cater to your growing conditions as no two growers have the EXACT same one.

The problem with learning from this forum are the competing ideologies and experiences that leave you second guessing every move you make (not to take away form papheteer's experience, everyone is different) I, myself could have never made this forum work for me without my previous hands on experience. This forum is most effective for answering specific questions in which you already have a clue about, but it could be a hindrance if you are looking for a mentor with a specific lesson plan (based on their experience), which is what it sounds like you are searching for. And nothing replaces on hand experience and working side by side with someone

The problem with learning from this forum are the competing ideologies and experiences that leave you second guessing every move you make

Second guessing and third guessing is how you learn. You can't learn how to be a horticulturist from a science book.

This forum is an excellent learning resource exactly because of the different ideologies.

Second guessing and third guessing is how you learn. You can't learn how to be a horticulturist from a science book.

This forum is an excellent learning resource exactly because of the different ideologies.

Science book huh? Not sure where that came from since I did say that on hands learning is best. Never said it wasnt an excellent resource . But when you are apprenticing under someone , your goal is to learn their methods and philosophies and an expedient pressure to be patient .. That you can't necessarily obtain online. There is a certain comfort in this that encourages growth and learning a lot more effectively than the formalism of a forum. As I suggested , for some , having competing ideologies when trying to develop basic understanding can be overwhelming.. This forum gets extremely picky and very complicated sometimes. Without a basic understanding in how orchids grow this forum can be a huge turnoff. Hell, I have twenty years experience and I get overwhelmed sometimes.

It sounds weird, but when it comes to indoor growing orchids you can learn alot from the guys growing cannabis. Light, watering systems, air etc. are factors they discuss alot more often than we do. It also helps if you want to set up a growing room... As for growing paphs from seed I can recommend the book "Asymbiotic Technique of Orchid Seed Germination" by Aaron J. Hicks. It is a good start even tough you probably need to find your own way to success and develop your own "style" for getting good results.

Great advice across the board, thank you all.
I am involved with the local NWOS for sure. Used to spend considerable time at Seattle Orchid until the owner made some very questionable, and IMHO asinine hiring/firing practices, and got rid of their most knowledgeable (and friendly) staff members. I have been absorbing what I can where I can for sure and I appreciate the open nature of most growers I have met.

Polyantha... one step ahead of you. The cross over information has been staggering, and actually I have recently read about Allen Koch suggesting General Hydroponics "Flora Micro" to ensure maximum uptake of micro nutrients in our orchids. I recently experimented and tried TM-7 which is rich in micro nutrients and humic acids, and my orchids seem to like it.

I digress....

Great advice across the board, thank you all.
I am involved with the local NWOS for sure. Used to spend considerable time at Seattle Orchid until the owner made some very questionable, and IMHO asinine hiring/firing practices, and got rid of their most knowledgeable (and friendly) staff members. I have been absorbing what I can where I can for sure and I appreciate the open nature of most growers I have met.

Polyantha... one step ahead of you. The cross over information has been staggering, and actually I have recently read about Allen Koch suggesting General Hydroponics "Flora Micro" to ensure maximum uptake of micro nutrients in our orchids. I recently experimented and tried TM-7 which is rich in micro nutrients and humic acids, and my orchids seem to like it.

I digress....

good luck !

Latest posts

Back