One month and counting down

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ScottMcC said:
The taxis are all on the verge of falling apart at any second, and they drive them like NASCAR.

Most of Peru is covered in a layer of dirt, although the significance thereof is unclear.

Don't drink the water, unless it's bottled or otherwise purified.

The food is excellent, but don't eat anything that's not thoroughly cooked. Yes, this means no salads.

You just described Phoenix. :rollhappy:

So John is the Board Trip still a go in the new year?

Lance is right about the taxis. Make sure its only the people your with and the taxi driver. You can make exceptions in rural places where the cabs will pick up as many people as they can fit, but in cities don't allow extra people to get in. You'll end up getting ripped off (not neccessarily robbed, but you'll pay way more then you should).

Kyle

Thats to bad. If you still want to go, I'll be in Ecuador for part of the spring.

It pretty much just like Peru without the money problems. Well, different money problems....

Kyle

In my opinion Peru is safer than out your front door.

Peru is probably the safest place for Americans to travel to as a foreign destination.

Generally Peruvian crime is not directed at tourists. Guns are not common in crimes. Police may not even have ammunition for their own guns.

Within the greater Lima area the crime rate is pretty high and rising. As in New York or LA or Phoenix there are areas that are safe as can be and there areas none of us would dare go. Violent crime is really not an issue in either as most crime in Lima is driven by survival needs. In the poorer areas you are more likely to be robbed of your shoes and pants than your camera. But don't run around the streets of Lima taking pictures. Don't walk the streets carrying a backpack. Don't flash your wealth. People may just grab and run.

But if you go into Miraflores which is a separate city, but still part of Lima, it is suddenly safe. Very well dressed local people in very expensive clothes draped in gold jewelery. No thief would dare bother you or these local people. You simply must know where you are at all times. Miraflores has great shopping!

Once you leave Lima and travel into the country things change. The people may not have much money or many things but they are not poor. They are not hungry and they are not driven to steal to survive. This is especially true when you cross over into the Amazon region. In areas like Moyabomba where one might look for kovachii traveling in rural areas should be very safe.

OK, of course there are exceptions, things change in Latin America on a daily basis. As an example coca growers are threatening to revolt if the new President continues to allow the USA to eradicate the coca plantings. If this were to happen it could suddenly be an interesting vacation.

Over the years we lived in Peru we found ourselves in some very vulnerable situations and never once were we physically accosted. Well except once when Belinda caught a man robbing our bedroom at 10 in the morning. The robber apologized and tried to walk down the stairs past her. Belinda slugged the guy and he jumped off the second story balcony and ran. But I guess that doesn't count as violence as Belinda was the one doing the hitting.
Peru has the politest criminals.

What fun would it be to see a rare specie growing in the wild if there was no wild? The Amazon regions of Peru are a place to visit without fear of crime. Just watch out for the creepy crawlies.

Lance put it very well. I felt very safe in Peru. Don't let the talk of counterfit money and dishonest taxi drivers paint a picture of a dangerus place. Most peruvians want you to leave their country with a high opinion.

The only wierd thing I encountered in the country side which was drastically different then Ecuador was when you would be looking for orchids down a backroad in the middle of no where and you would happen accross someone. In Ecuador they say 'Good Day' and acknowledge you. In Peru, they act like your not there, like your passing them on the streets of a big city.

Kyle

I am not over concerned. I was raised in a large city and am street savy. I am aware of backpacks being slashed in crowded market places and even rear pant pockets to access wallets. I have travel experience to 2nd and 3rd world countries. I do appreciate all the advice.

Now for the creepy crawlers and larger critters I will take precaution. With 30 years of backpacking experience behind me that should help in taking precautions. My wife learned the hard way, not to grab local vegetation to steady herself. :D While hiking in the rainforest of Central America, she grabed a "Give and Take Tree" The spines of the trunk were not a pleasent experience.

oh I forgot to mention...bring a roll of toilet paper. the stuff they have down there is lacking in quality to say the least (reminded me of chemwipes). and apparently their toilets are very weak, so you're not allowed to flush toilet paper at all. instead, you place it in the little mini trashcan beside the toilet. weird, I know.

Latest posts

Back