Oncidium ornithorhynchum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't know for sure but i thought you always need import paperwork when taking plants across international borders

Nice plant! What is the potting media?

Paphman910

It is medium CHC mix with 50% inorganic stuff added like lava rock,sponge rock etc.

I add a layer of pea gravel to the top. It helps stabilize the plant when first transplanted and I think it keeps the media more evenly moist as it dries.

can't you take a few non-appendix one plants across the border with you to and from canada, if you declare them? please correct me if i'm wrong, of course! :D
This isn't even funny Charles! :eek:

There is no agriculture allowed across the USA/Canada border w/out Phytosanitary and CITES paperwork.

well, wasn't trying to be funny.. if this isn't the case, then why are people allowed to bring orchids that aren't appendix 1 along in their suitcase from another country? (or am I missing details here?)

Orchids must have a CITES certificate in order to import them into Canada from the United States. If they are shipped, they also need a phyto sanitary certificate. If they are brought across in your luggage, they don't need the phyto but they still must have the CITES declaration.

Carl

In Canada, I believe there is still the 'houseplant' rule, which allows you to take a limited amount of plants across without paperwork. I think the problem is when you give or sell them to someone else. That person did not have import papers. That rule might not still be in effect, though.

Eric - I would suspect that even fruit needs import papers.

Carl - how would the method of importation determine if the plants need Phyto or not?

What a gorgeous display... :) :D Awesome plant.... What do you mean by 3 spikes per bulb? I thought oncids produce maximum 2 spikes per bulb (1 from within each of the basal leaves/bracts)...?

Well-grown Oncidiums and related hybrids can and do often produce 3 spikes per bulb. Possibly even more, but not sure. I've seen it before - quite impressive!

Kevin,

Imder the houseplant rule, up to 50 plants can come across as luggage without a phytosanitary certificate. This rule applies to orchids but a careful reading will find that orchids always need a CITES declaration.

Orchids that are shipped across the border, as opposed to coming as hand carried luggage require a phytosanitary declaration.

I don't know why the rules are like that.

Carl

If you follow the "houseplant rule" which appears on several outdated websites you risk your plants and a fine. You might get away with it sometimes somewhere but orchids legally need CITIES documentation to be imported into Canada. If you doubt it, check with Agriculture Canada or what ever that department is being called today.

Latest posts

Back