Oncidium ornithorhynchum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chuck

This is one of only a couple of oncidiums I own. I like the fragrance and this seems to be a pretty vigorous and productive clone, three spikes on each of two mature pseudobulbs this time. For the first couple of years that I owned this plants, it bloomed right at Christmas. Then gradually it bloomed a little earlier each year.
oncornith1.jpg

oncornith2.jpg

IMG_7892.jpg

oncornith4.jpg

Very impressive. I'm sure it must smell wonderful, also. How are you growing it? I seem to kill every one I lay my hands on.

Very impressive. I'm sure it must smell wonderful, also. How are you growing it? I seem to kill every one I lay my hands on.

I grow it in a CHC mix, 50% medium well washed CHC and 50% inorganic stuff like lava rock, sponge rock, and clay pellets with some charcoal added. I grow it bright and water it twice a week. Balanced fertilizer every three or four waterings. A little slow release fertilizer in the spring as a boost.

Thanks, Chuck. Your media and growing technique don't differ that much from mine, except I haven't been growing them bright. Maybe that's the key.

I love the fragrance. I gave away my original...then I got another small one...it "vanished" in the tornado. Eventually I'll get another.

I've seen so many around I thought, "Ho Hum..:snore:" but!!! :eek:
I would like to send you 1 of the white and 1 of the yellow form to see what you could do with those too. Excellent growing.

Awesome! :clap: I love the pendelous spikes. Most often you see upright, heavily staked spikes on these. I have a Oncidium Twinkle that I am waiting on. Love the fragrance.

What a gorgeous display... :) :D Awesome plant.... What do you mean by 3 spikes per bulb? I thought oncids produce maximum 2 spikes per bulb (1 from within each of the basal leaves/bracts)...?

I guess this plant doesn't know the rule.
IMGP0519.jpg

IMGP0520.jpg

I've seen so many around I thought, "Ho Hum..:snore:" but!!! :eek:
I would like to send you 1 of the white and 1 of the yellow form to see what you could do with those too. Excellent growing.

I would like you send them too, but, damn CITIES, me living in Canada and all, hey.

Chuck

I would like you send them too, but, damn CITIES, me living in Canada and all, hey.

Chuck

can't you take a few non-appendix one plants across the border with you to and from canada, if you declare them? I think the problem is when they are cites restricted. so, if someone were going to visit friends or family they could take a few oncidiums. so, once in canada someone could mail them normally
please correct me if i'm wrong, of course! :D

Latest posts

Back